• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So how bad is Compton really...

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
I'm moving from Riverside/Colton to go to a job site in Compton Monday night.

This job site that I'm going to supervise for work is going to be off Hwy110 on Rosecrans. It's a night paving job for the street that starts at 8pm. Do I need to watch my back out there? As everything I heard about Compton is bad news.

i've been out that way before...lets just say "your along ways from coon rapids!!":laugh:

:laugh: True... but I've dealt with Minneapolis and St. Paul. However from what I'm told that's nothing compared to here.

What company you doing paving for? I've done some paving in my day and this is the first I heard of someone using out of state pavers. Are you with Washington...(some Japanese name) company that doing the work on the 91/60 interchange Fwy. Their from out of state, but the paving subcontractor is Cali base.

Now for your question, I used to work in Long Beach as a Cop in the 90's and we would take the bum's and fruit sellers and dropped them off in Compton and tell them not to come back. Compton or the CPT as they call it has change a bit, just not for the good. The once battle ground for crips and bloods gangs has fallen to the Hispanic gangs now. The Neighboring citys of Downey, Paramount, Whitter are Hispanic gang control areas, Carson south of the 91 is ok mostly Samoan control.

Yes watch your back and don't wonder off alone. Now Long Beach is no safe haven either, LBC (Crips city). If you need a room stay in Belmont shores area or south of 4th street (Along ocean Dr.) you wonder around north of that and ur on ur own. The Sheriffs Dept patrols Compton (Slow Response) and Long Beach rolls their own ( the Chief is Tony Batts).

I'm working with All Amercian Asphalt. However I'm not running the job, I'm just supervising the use of one machine. Training operators on how to use it and montioring it's usage.

I was told to check into the Marriot in Hawthorne down the street from the job site on Rosecrans.

you should be fine, cuz its not like you look like a gang member and the only real problem goin on in south central LA is racial, like latino gangs killin off the black people to make room for their turf. its not like your living there, your working and not walkin around. but i would have to agree with the people sayin that you shouldnt walk around alone, you never do that in the ghetto. i used to walk around in some of the ghettos of richmond, ca cuz i would go to a punk venue and as odd and imposing as we looked, we still got harrassed.

Well thats good to know. Kinda figured I didn't have anything to worry about since I'd be working with the whole paving crew. I was just told by the other guys that if I'm working on my laptop in the Durango I rented that if someone taps on the window haul ass lol.

Anyway I just booked my reservation at the Holiday Inn Express in Manhattan Beach. So at least I'm not staying in the Compton area.

I also called up an old friend of mine. He's a screen writer in Hollywood. So I guess him and I will be hanging out next week as well.

my dad is a retired telephone lineman. he said some of the guys have been robbed down there (and other bad areas of LA) while working. of course, theyre usually alone. he said someone will just walk up and whip out a gun and demand your wallet. he said when working in a bad area he would carry a spare wallet with a few bucks in it in case this happened. and keep his real wallet hidden.

is truth that in compton you can race and the police dont do nothing?

a log time ago abouth 5 years i was in a greyhound from calexico, to san francisco (dad lives there) and the bus made a stop in L.A. and in the other seat was a latin men like men an whe speak abouth cars and he tell me that in compton if you race the police dont do nothing , i dont belive him buth is that thruth?

is truth that in compton you can race and the police dont do nothing?

a log time ago abouth 5 years i was in a greyhound from calexico, to san francisco (dad lives there) and the bus made a stop in L.A. and in the other seat was a latin men like men an whe speak abouth cars and he tell me that in compton if you race the police dont do nothing , i dont belive him buth is that thruth?

Never heard of much street eacing in Compton :shrug:

Even back in my day (earlier 80's ) we did most of the street racing off of Rodeo and hang out at the Fat Burgers. When the gangs started showing up the street scene died off (in the Black Community) due to the shootings, when gang members lost and didn't want to pay up.

i could understand if the cops didnt bust street racers cuz they do have more pressing matters to attend to in the ghetto.

Back