• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1 night 2 cars

simmah down now . . . simmah down.

mikey, how many steps are you using for the HDR composite? and are you manually adjusting the exposure between shots? or using a built-in auto-bracketing function in the camera? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm fascinated by the HDR technique, and I'm hoping to give it a try here sometime, even with my limited camera equipment.

Ray, I don't know what Mike is doing with the HDR product itself, but when he took the pictures, he manually adjusted the exposures between each of three shots. One shot is "normal", one shot is slightly under exposed, and one shot is slightly over exposed. The way he explained it is that once he loads all three vesions of the same shot into the software, each pixel now has three options to use. From there the software takes over and it gets beyond my ability to understand or explain since I've never used it.

Does that help?

Ray, I don't know what Mike is doing with the HDR product itself, but when he took the pictures, he manually adjusted the exposures between each of three shots. One shot is "normal", one shot is slightly under exposed, and one shot is slightly over exposed. The way he explained it is that once he loads all three vesions of the same shot into the software, each pixel now has three options to use. From there the software takes over and it gets beyond my ability to understand or explain since I've never used it.

Does that help?

Ray != Rara lol. Anyway, it helps a little. I was trying to find out how many seperate pics he used. Some sources claim you need 5 to 7 exposure steps to get the best range. Some higher end cameras have a feature called "auto-bracket" that will automatically vary the exposure for each shot, but most don't have the range for doing a good hdr composite. Some of the newer ones though will allow you to adjust the settings for the autobracket feature so you can very easily get the 5-7 steps of exposure range.
I have done a little research on HDR photography since the subject first came up here, so I've got a pretty good idea of how it works, just no practical experience playing with it yet.

Ray != Rara lol. Anyway, it helps a little. I was trying to find out how many seperate pics he used. Some sources claim you need 5 to 7 exposure steps to get the best range. Some higher end cameras have a feature called "auto-bracket" that will automatically vary the exposure for each shot, but most don't have the range for doing a good hdr composite. Some of the newer ones though will allow you to adjust the settings for the autobracket feature so you can very easily get the 5-7 steps of exposure range.
I have done a little research on HDR photography since the subject first came up here, so I've got a pretty good idea of how it works, just no practical experience playing with it yet.

yeah, most DSLR cameras will auto bracket and adjust the exposure (you have to play with a few settings first of course). The settings go at -2, 0, +2 (you can vary that range depending on the number of photos that you are compiling) You can have a minimum of three photos. Maximum is about 12 IIRC in Photoshop CS2.

rara, i have a nikon D70s and i use the bracketing feature on the camera. i have only done the process using three exposures, -2,0,+2. when i get better at the process i will start to add more variables. i am learning. i want to get the process down so i am confident with what i need to do to turn out the best pictures. i will post up the high rez versions in a bit. they are appx. 3000x2000 pixels.

rara, here is an image of soundQ under the bridge with color correction which eliminates the orange glow from the lights...
picture.JPG

are there 2 differnet license plates on that car?

God, those last pics look fantastic.... the car almost looks like its wet paint

Great pictures, The look is amazing. Have you thought about removing the front license plates for the photos.

wow Mikey.. those are cool...

The plate on the back is my real plate. The one on the front that says SOUNDQ SVT is just a show plate that I put on at shows and for pics. Unfortunately I only have one of them, so I would have had to take it off and put it back on depending which end of the car was being photographed. It was late and I got lazy so I just left it on the front.

Those are some really sweet looking photos.

I've messed with HDR a little. It's not easy from what I found -- but it gives awesome results when done properly.

My biggest problem was a cheap tripod. Makes me want to get out and try again!

Back