• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what should i do first?

since you have the MTX you have to assume an average of only 10-15% drivetrain loss since they are way more efficient than an ATX. now if it was an ATX then you could assume 20-25%.

you can actually calculate the average drivetrain loss of the MTX-75 based on the SVTs dyno numbers. we know that they are rated at 200BHP and the average dynoed WHP of one is in the 175 range. thats a 12-13% drivetrain loss. now if you take the 168 (which is IMO is a little high for the mods but not impossible, still want to see the dyno graph) calculate the BHP with a 12.5% loss you get 192BHP. thats 23HP less than what you claimed. now is your average driver gonna notice that, probably not. But your claimed number is not accurate.

Don't listen to him. Someone is going to pay the price for the car. People have paid MORE.

considering KBB rates a 96 MTX zetec contour with all the options, only 68000 miles, and in excellent condition at only about $2200 his claim of them selling for 2500-3K is, again, a little high. if he gets the $4500 that hes asking for great (since like you said people have paid more) but i dont think hell get it. im guessing somewhere in the $3500 range would be more accurate.

Last edited:
IMHO they both help however you will notice more of a difference with the rear one than the front. if you look in your trunk the strut towers mount to the body really far down. this allows lots of flex in the tower. by adding the strut brace it then allows the tower to push against the other one whose outside wall is part of the body and doesnt flex that direction.

the front one doesnt help as much because there is less distance between the top of the strut tower and where it mounts to the body so there is less flex. some people claim that it does nothing however i can feel a difference between when i have it off and when its installed.

yeah. struts and springs, rear sway bar (even an SVT one is better than the stock one, plus it should be fairly easy to get ahold of), and the rear strut tower bar. also some lightweight wheels and good sticky tires.

tires are the best and easiest way to get more grip.

I have an se contour. My rear sway bar and the svt rear sway bar are the same. SO my only upgrade their is one form bat and new bushings

yes it is an se however since you have the zetec you might double check that it is 19mm before you spend the extra money on the bat bar if you can get away cheaply (for now) with just an svt bar.

im out of luck then don't have any or know anyone with them. grrrr o well. ill live for now

Back