• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking by heater core I think (help)

con_svt_tour

New CEG'er
Trying to find out if the heater core is leaking. There is another whole under neith heater core outlet and inlet. I have to remove the metal sheild type protect. Has anyone else had this issue and what was it. This is for my 1997 contour.

Last edited:
Con,
I am dealing with my heater core as we speak. If you are trying to remove the heatercore that shield does not need to be moved trust me been there done that. That additional hole you see is part of the cover for the core. Once you undo your hoses from the heater core that is all you need to do under the car everything else is done under the dashboard. Check out the Autozone link I hope this helps you. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/cf/53/0900823d801bcf53.jsp

WARNING there is two clips in the back of the heater core cover those two clips are hard to get to but they must be removed in order to get the cover and the heatercore out.

Also if your core does have a leak and you need to replace it you may have a problem the replacement core inlet and outlet pipes are 3/4 and the pipe off the heater core that came off of my tour is 5/8 and it is and original ford part. I went to the dealership today and the heater core that they have does have the 5/8 inlet and outlet pipe but it cost $273.00. IM me if you want additional info on this.

Heatercore Update

Heatercore Update

I installed my heatercore a few days ago. I must admit putting it back together was easier then taking it out. I still don't have the inside of the Tour back together. I decided to use the replacement core as you know the inlet outlet pipes was 3/4 and the core from ford pipes were 5/8 so what I did to solve that problem I purchased two transition plastic pieces that went from 5/8 to 3/4. I cut the 5/8 hose and put the plastic piece in that fit then I put 3/4 hose on the other end and fitted the 3/4 hose to the core clamped and tightened the hoses. While I was working in that area I also put a flush T in. I haven't put any coolant in the system yet I'm still working on my car. I plan to do the timing and change the waterpump this weekend. I am currently changing the air compressor coil and clutch, the bearings was shot. Don't really need the tour right now I'm on vacation. One thing I am learning you need to work on these car when your not in a hurry. So when you get pissed you have time to walk away and come back to it.

Back