• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT full 3.0 dyno

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I met up with Eric L at MC Racing for a baseline dyno test, here's what I got:

This is the uncorrected version compared to Eric L's 2.5 SVT/Bassani catback:
scantl7.jpg

And here are my SAE corrected numbers:
scan0001aa3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5FWNcZbY48

Mods:
-'01 Taurus 3.0
-MSDS Headers and y-pipe
-Stock resonator removed
-eBay intake and filter
-Optimized 3.0 throttle body
-warmonger tune

I was hoping for 200 whp, but I guess this isn't bad. The torque curve is excellent, definitely an improvement over the 2.5.

Thoughts? Suggestions on squeezing out another 10 hp?

what manifolds are you using? i'm guessing 3l cams by the hp curve. so are you using 3L manifolds too:confused:
also,what are you doing for a catback? stock catback is holding you back some,thats for sure. tq curve doesnt look that good,falls off pretty hard

Last edited:
what manifolds are you using? i'm guessing 3l cams by the hp curve. so are you using 3L manifolds too:confused:
also,what are you doing for a catback? stock catback is holding you back some,thats for sure. tq curve doesnt look that good,falls off pretty hard

He has a full 3L swap (cams/intake manifolds, that's why he's selling the SVT stuff in the classifieds.

I agree with the catback suggestion for a few extra ponies. Not bad numbers for a straight swap.

it is amazing to see the 2.5 SVT make more torque above 6500 rpms that explains why the 3 liter cams fall off so hard. That is not to bad for a 3 liter swap I am so darn anxiuos to see how we can squezze more power out of the 3 liters with certain combinations.

Hey can you do a datalog for me so i can compare the airflow and loads against my 3 liter just curious to see since I didn't get a full datalog on the 3 liter motor. Joey

The torque curve isn't too bad, considering 99.999% of my driving is under 5000 rpm. I was hoping to see 200hp, but the numbers I have now are definitely an improvement over stock.

well maybe you can wait till joey has his dyno data,perhaps a manifold change will be in order. i was planning on straight 3l swap too,but to be honest,i'm not that impressed w/the way the tq comes on and leaves. i've had really tq'y cars before(mazda f2t 2.2L)

There's no way I'm going to the 2.5 intakes. $300 for the LIM adaptor plus an SVT UIM worth $235 (what I just got for it) is NOT worth a few extra hp up top...that's MORE than I paid for the whole engine!

I have heard that the '04+ 3.0 manifolds could be helpful, though.

Coincidentally enough, there was a 93-94 Turbo'd Probe GT on the dyno when I got there. I believe he was putting out about 210hp.

Hey can you do a datalog for me so i can compare the airflow and loads against my 3 liter just curious to see since I didn't get a full datalog on the 3 liter motor. Joey

Exactly what did you want as far as the datalog. Do I just hook up the X3, start data logging, and drive around for a while, or should I make a couple specific runs?

I was also running a KKM during in addition to the Bassani and probably less than 13k miles.

Any idea how many miles were on the Taurus motor when you swapped it?

We should have had him print the Vortech and Venom pulls that were on the computer and maybe one from Buckshot's 3L SC! :) Just to see wheere you could be someday!

i wasnt saying use a 2.5 manifold. i meant the 04+ or mazda6 mani.
turbo 2g eh,only 210...hmmm thats really low

Any idea how many miles were on the Taurus motor when you swapped it?

I bought it from LKQ, they reported it as having 60,000 miles on it. I've put about 1500-2000 miles on it in the past three weeks.

i wasnt saying use a 2.5 manifold. i meant the 04+ or mazda6 mani.
turbo 2g eh,only 210...hmmm thats really low

How much work is involved in swapping on a newer manifold? Is it just a bolt on? All I know about the Probe is that it had an exhaust and he was running a megasquirt too.

you'd have to talk to someone like joey on the 3l manifolds. its a three liter block so it shouldnt be to difficult.
it might have been se turbo'd. mine 93gt on 6psi was putting down 237.

megasquirt is the only form of tuning thats available,its a great setup that will prob. never catch on here:shrug:

back on topic. i'd like to see you do a newer style manifold swap and dyno it. you basically have the same setup i wanted to run this summer.

megasquirt is the only form of tuning thats available,its a great setup that will prob. never catch on here:shrug:

Hard to beat an Xcal2 or a 4-program flip chip like I had. The SCT software is pretty easy to use...

Would the megasquirt really buy us anything?

its a little more in depth,more in depth than most people want to get into. if you do a full system it totally replaces the stock ecu,meaning you have a base file,and you basically tune every aspect of the car,even the non performance parameter

to difficult.
it might have been se turbo'd. mine 93gt on 6psi was putting down 237.

back on topic. i'd like to see you do a newer style manifold swap and dyno it. you basically have the same setup i wanted to run this summer.

I'm pretty sure it was a GT. The rims weren't stock but it had a GT rear bumper and it definitely sounded like a 2.5.

As for more performance mods, I think I'm going to hold off for a while. There are quite a few other things I need to do with my money, so the SVT isn't priority 1.

There's no way I'm going to the 2.5 intakes. $300 for the LIM adaptor plus an SVT UIM worth $235 (what I just got for it) is NOT worth a few extra hp up top...that's MORE than I paid for the whole engine!

I have heard that the '04+ 3.0 manifolds could be helpful, though.

Coincidentally enough, there was a 93-94 Turbo'd Probe GT on the dyno when I got there. I believe he was putting out about 210hp.

people say this all the time. then they complain when their car falls short on HP compared to the guys that have those parts.

if you want the big HP numbers, you have to get the high end components like the SVT intakes and cams. however, those parts won't necessarily make your car any faster or more fun to drive than a full swap. you have the "torquey" setup as far as i am concerned, so don't be so upset about your HP numbers on the top if you didnt build the engine for that type of power. on the other end, my setup is built for the top end power. so if i dont get the big HP number up top, i'll be dissapointed.

I currently have a un-tuned full 3L and I have a blast driving it. Accelerating onto freeways, stop lights, and going through the twisties are a lot of fun. The 3L hybrids do have more top end HP though. I'm not real sure which one i'd rather have.

Back