• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Major Detail: 2003 Ford Focus ZX3

Dr. Cross

CEG'er
Last Fall I purchased a ZX3 as a DD. While the car looked good from afar, upon closer examination the paint was covered w/ swirls and scratches:

DSCN0324-ps.jpg

I was able to remove some of the defects w/ Meguiar's #80, but the paint still needed serious attention. I recently had a break in my detailing schedule and decided to tackle the job and spent about 12 hours working on the exterior. My process included (all Meguiar's):

Wash w/ Gold Class
Clay w/ Mild Detailing Clay
Defect removal w/ #2 (Fine Cut Cleaner)
Defect removal w/ #83 (Dual Action Cleaner Polish)
Polish w/ #80 (Speed Glaze)
Seal w/ #21 (Synthetic Sealant)
Top w/ Gold Class
Hyper Dressing on trim
Endurance on tires

I was very happy w/ the results. 100% of swirls are gone and 90% of scratches have been eliminated. I think this will be my guinea pig for rotary buffer practice:laugh:

Now, on to the afters:

DSC01834-ps.JPG

DSC01827-ps.jpg

DSC01793-ps.jpg

DSC01797-ps.jpg

DSC01791-ps.jpg

DSC01796-ps.jpg

DSC01822-ps.jpg

Now I can look good while getting 28mpg on my daily commute:cool:

yeah i got some marks on the R i need to buff out...some existing and some i put on there taping it up for the trip to SZ. which actually would have turned out fine if it hadn't downpoured the night before...

That car is pretty much entirely along the lines of what I want to buy next as my daily driver. Car looks beautiful with the detail, I really thing Meguiars is probably the best way you can go for value over money, you get a great shine for a low price, unfortunately that shine doesnt last very long unless you do regular quick detailer and what not, but its not like I dont use a quick detailer after every wash.

Unfortunately, I constatly average 30 mpg in my Zetec contour :D

although the focus is probably a little bit better on the quality side :troutslap:

That car is pretty much entirely along the lines of what I want to buy next as my daily driver. Car looks beautiful with the detail, I really thing Meguiars is probably the best way you can go for value over money, you get a great shine for a low price, unfortunately that shine doesnt last very long unless you do regular quick detailer and what not, but its not like I dont use a quick detailer after every wash.

Unfortunately, I constatly average 30 mpg in my Zetec contour :D

although the focus is probably a little bit better on the quality side :troutslap:

I have to disagree about the longevity. Last winter I waxed my Jeep w/ ColorX and #21, and after 5 months of northern VT winter, the Jeep was still beading !!!

My daily trip is mix of steady cruising, but not a highway speeds, so my mileage could definitely improve w/ a different commute.

W/ the 2.3L Duratec, I bet my Focus is more fun to drive than your Zetec:D

very very very nice!, i cant wait to use my PC. when i drive my dads 02 camrey XLE 3.0 v6 i get 32mpg+ at 75mph. you know to be honest with you i think if we ever lined up my svt and my dads car it would be a hell of a race. hes got more TQ then me and you can feel it. he might win.:crazy:

I have to disagree about the longevity. Last winter I waxed my Jeep w/ ColorX and #21, and after 5 months of northern VT winter, the Jeep was still beading !!!

My daily trip is mix of steady cruising, but not a highway speeds, so my mileage could definitely improve w/ a different commute.

W/ the 2.3L Duratec, I bet my Focus is more fun to drive than your Zetec:D

shiza, I didnt know yours had the 2.3L that IS exactly what I want out of a focus.

just because the water beads doesnt mean there is still wax left on the car.

just because the water beads doesnt mean there is still wax left on the car.

Huh??? I detail cars and see a lot of cars that have never been waxed. The water definitely does not bead on those cars. What else would make water bead (besides wax/sealant/protection of some sort)???

Maliblue kicks ass. Favorite Focus just ahead of Competition Orange, Sonic Blue, then Liquid Grey.

All it needs is a drop and the brakes off an SVTF. After that you can start looking at the FS turbo for your 2.3 ;)

Maliblue kicks ass. Favorite Focus just ahead of Competition Orange, Sonic Blue, then Liquid Grey.

All it needs is a drop and the brakes off an SVTF. After that you can start looking at the FS turbo for your 2.3 ;)

Those are my 3 favorite colors as well:cool: In fact, when I get ready to sell this car, I will look for a Comp Orange or Sonic Blue SVTF:drool:

So far I have resisted the urge to mod, but I think I will soon fall victim to the mod bug:laugh:

im not gonna, its painful in the rump, but all smiles afterwards :)

Jarrod...Shut up......
If it's beading, then yes you'r waxed....I love the Clarity of P21S, but it's jack compared to the durability of Gold Class (Yes, I am still 100% against NXT)....

Focus looks nice man....

I think we should have an internet wax off. We should all try to find the same car with the same color, and go from there and post pics......

Last edited:
Jarrod...Shut up......
If it's beading, then yes you'r waxed....I love the Clarity of P21S, but it's jack compared to the durability of Gold Class (Yes, I am still 100% against NXT)....

Focus looks nice man....

I think we should have an internet wax off. We should all try to find the same car with the same color, and go from there and post pics......

I have a secret weapon now :D

Jarrod...Shut up......

Focus looks nice man....

I've never been impressed w/ NXT, both in terms of look and longevity. My #1 product for longevity is #21.

I say we pick Silver Frost SVT's for the wax-off, becuz I already have tons of pics to enter into the contest:laugh:

That Focus looks excellent! And especially with the SVT wheels :drool:. And to think it's your DD! The only thing I don't like about those Focuses (or Foci?) is the front grille/blinker thing that it has going on. It kinda bothers me, not gonna lie...

Back