• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Various Interior Bulbs: The Final Word

Savior

CEG'er
OK. I have been scouring the forums for this relatively simple info for some time now (wanting to put LEDs in my gauges and HVAC panel), and there seems to be a lot of confusion over the various bulb sizes and compatibility in these areas. For the convenience of anyone trying to upgrade/replace their various lights, as well as for a final word on the bulb sizes, I have gather the following information into this single post:

Gauge Cluster Bulbs: #74

HVAC Bulbs: #161 (Will #194's work here?)

Map Lights: #64111 (Factory), Aftermarket bulb is Polarg L-05 (4-watt bulb)

Vanity Mirror Bulbs: GE #37 (stock), or #74 baseless LED's

Courtesy/Kick-Plate Bulbs: #194

Dome and Trunk Light Bulbs: 6411 (stock), or Polarg M-88 as a brighter upgrade

(My source for much of this is: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1278138&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

Here is a good pic, courtesy of CSVT1214:

Feel free to add info on more bulbs.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these or have left any out, I want this info to be as legit and comprehensive as possible.

Last edited:

From the aforementioned thread...

CSVT1214 said:
1. Link does not work.
2. Sylvania is missing bulbs on that list.
3. Sylvania has wrong information listed...

That's kind of why I made this thread, so we could nail down and clear up any misunderstandings about the bulbs. I think most of them on that list are right, though.

1. link works for me :shrug:

2. i never said it was complete.

3. i dont see any info thats wrong for the 97 or the 00 model year contour :shrug:

1. Crap you're right, the link works for me too, but I didn't even mean to post #1, it wasn't relevant.

2. I wasn't complaining that it was incomplete; if it were complete, I wouldn't have started this thread. The list does make a good companion document, and this thread is designed to fill in the gaps and provide cheaper and/or more effective or more common alternatives, including things like other brands, LED sources, etc.

3. I'm not sure exactly what' wrong, but in that long-a$$ thread from the old forums, they seem to discover through trial and error that some of the numbers/models don't match up right or don't fit right in the sockets of our 'tours, which is what distressed me about ordering things from the internet that might not work. My idea was to sort of compile a list of valid upgrades and replacements that we here at CEG have discovered, through experimentation, to be compatible and/or superior. Again though, Sylvania's list is not a bad companion.

i like what you are doing.. this should be a sticky when its all said and done.

some more numbers we need are:
clock
hvac switch
dimmer switch

pre 98 door handle switch bulb is a #74
Glove box light pre-98 is #194 i think

Don't forget, when you order LED festoon bulbs, they don't come with those numbers, they list them # of LEDs x length in mm.

Back