• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator Bolt Torque?

vmax12

New CEG'er
Just finished pullin alt on my 2000 CVT { took Me two hours in the parking lot of my apt complex ,stock rock car, followed THe how to thread was helpful but I don't think it addressed some of the issues on the 2000 's but it is good referance thanks for writing it up !!!!} The 13 mm bolts were over torqued and a bear to get off without rounding bolt heads. My ? is what is to correst torque on the install , the alt is hard mounted by two bolts is it neccessary to crank those puppies down to gorilla torque????????? thanks VMAX:nonono:

Here are the specs on a 98. I would think the 2000 is about the same.

Alternator mounting bolts: 33 Ft-lbs (1995-1997 uses 15-22 Ft-lbs)
Alternator mounting bracket bolts: 15-22 Ft-lbs
Pulley nut: 15-22 Ft-lbs
Output terminal nut: 80-97 in-lbs

I replaced mine several weeks ago. It took me 6 hours from start to finish, although I wasn't trying to break any records. I stopped several times and searched the forums for inspiration posts by others who have done it.

The main thing with mine was getting the correct tool combo to loosen the top mounting bolt. The how-to suggestion for that section didn't work in my case.

I just kept reminding myself that I was saving hundreds of dollars by doing this myself. First alternator lasted 139k miles and I hope this one lasts until I sell the car some year. What a royal pain.

Last edited:
The top bolt? a socket wrench, and a 3 inch extension with a socket?

no "combo" needed if you go from the top..
:shrug:

No room to make the ratchet click even once when I used any extension at all. In my case it was a deep well socket, then the ratchet, then an 18mm deep well socket and a long extension on the end of the handle to use as a pry bar.

Its possible if you kind of move the black plastic thing (that has the megafuse i think) as far down and out of the way as you can.

In order to get the bolt loose from that position though you might have to spin the head of the ratchet so it doesn't have any slack in it when it catches the bolt.

The whole thing is doable with just a socket wrench, but it really is a major pita that way (much more so than w/ extensions)

Back