• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

compression to high for turbo?

200SVT

from what I heard putting a 3L with svt cams and intake manifold, in a csvt, it jumps the compression to somewhere around 11.25:1 compression. People putting this engine set up in a csvt, and then putting a turbo on it, wouldn't this be to high of a compression set up for a turbo? Because forced induction works best with low compression. Right?

The cams and intake have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the compression. The motors that swap over the entire svt head assembly is what ends up with the 11+ compression. And yes, that is too high for FI.

That is half true. The cams play a big role in dynamic compression. Even though static compression on the SVT is 10.25:1 the cams may actually cause the dynamic compression to be lower into the 9s:1 due to the extensive overlap and may explain why these engines with SVT cams respond so well to low and moderate boost levels without grenading the engines.

ONLY if you put 2.5L heads on a 3L block with no adjustments will you get 11.25:1 compression.

So would you recommend running mild to moderate boost on a 3 liter as long as the stock 3 liter heads remain? I mean besides the obvious swapping of cams.
stock 3L with 3L heads, OR 2.5L heads with reduced compression....I would say up to 12psi daily driven for long term reliability.
That will net you anywhere from 330wHP to 380wHP depending on how good the port work and tuning is on the heads with a basically stock motor.
Not bad huh? :cool: That's between 400-500 at the crank on a stock block!

Back