• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior lights

91HellCat

CEG'er
I'm at a loss here and need some suggestions. I have done a bit of searching and have not found anybody with the same symptoms. The interior lights do not come on when the door(s) are opened. Now the door chime does come on when the door is open and the bulb in the dome light comes on when I manually switch it. Also the light comes on in the trunk when the trunk is open. I dont want to start buying non-returnable electrical parts and waste money on something I dont need. Does this still sound like a CTM (central timer module) or a relay problem. And yes I have checked all the fuses. Thanks.

Sounds like the dome light switch/housing is the culprit. Start by removing it and cleaning the connections.

Sounds more like a relay problem...Although it seems odd that your "ding" works. Tony where's a link to a magic relay diagram?! You always come up with these sort of things :p haha. My only suggestion is to try and find a relay/wiring diagram and follow the wires as best you can and look for a loose connection :shrug:

Upon my research I found that relay 12 is for the interior lights. I called the local Ford dealer and went ahead and ordered one since it was only $8.50. I throw it in tomorrow and see what happens. I also forgot to mention that all the dash lights work as they should too. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I drop in the new relay. It was a charm trying to get the local parts stores to look that thing up....

EDIT: I swapped relay R12 with R7 (in the power dist box) and that didn't make any difference. So back to the start I guess....

Last edited:
Upon my research I found that relay 12 is for the interior lights. I called the local Ford dealer and went ahead and ordered one since it was only $8.50. I throw it in tomorrow and see what happens. I also forgot to mention that all the dash lights work as they should too. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I drop in the new relay. It was a charm trying to get the local parts stores to look that thing up....

EDIT: I swapped relay R12 with R7 (in the power dist box) and that didn't make any difference. So back to the start I guess....

Hmm...did you try following the dome light wires and the floor light wires to see where they meet up? Because If those are the ones that aren't lighting up, there must be some common issue with their connection to the relay :confused: . That's just my logical thinking...

I checked the wires and they all look to be ok. I might go ahead and just buy a CTM and see what happens. I also ran the CTM test that I found searching in the old forums and it didnt pass the input or output test.

Last edited:
I checked the wires and they all look to be ok. I might go ahead and just buy a CTM and see what happens. This is getting old real fast....

I completely understand how frustrating it can be. The button in my door jamb was sticking really bad last winter and I hardly had interior lights when I opened the door. It really sucks! And it's totally not worth it to bring it to a mechanic who specializes in electric...:nonono:

... Tony where's a link to a magic relay diagram?! You always come up with these sort of things :p haha. My only suggestion is to try and find a relay/wiring diagram and follow the wires as best you can and look for a loose connection :shrug:

LOL. Sorry no magic relay diagram this time. I would still suggest that the OP check out the switch/connector on the lamp also to see if that is the problem. Then to check the wires which go to the fuse from the lamp.

I completely understand how frustrating it can be. The button in my door jamb was sticking really bad last winter and I hardly had interior lights when I opened the door. It really sucks! And it's totally not worth it to bring it to a mechanic who specializes in electric...:nonono:

Got a Phillips screwdriver? Got a brain? Got 30 secs?

Easiest Contique repair possible.

Got a Phillips screwdriver? Got a brain? Got 30 secs?

Easiest Contique repair possible.

*sigh* duh. But when it first happened, I didn't exactly have a screwdriver handy. It took me a few days before I took it apart to fix it. Don't need to be so harsh...:nonono: I have other things to worry about than not having interior lights when I open my door.

I know I am ressurecting my own "old thread", but I finally got the damn interior lights on. I checked all the wiring , relays, bulbs, etc. and it came down to the CTM. I had already replaced the CTM once with no luck and decided to try one more tonight and the lights kicked on instantly. Wow it's nice having light to see when I leave and get home in the dark these days!

That's good to know. I'm glad you posted the resolution - makes for easier searching when others have a similar problem.

Back