• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

quick question

Coutes

CEG'er
I am installing some subs and amp and was just wondering where you guys grounded it in the trunk. Also last time i had subs and an amp installed it worked fine, but my alternator ended up going. How could i prevent that, is that because of a bad ground?

Thanks
Mike

I am installing some subs and amp and was just wondering where you guys grounded it in the trunk. Also last time i had subs and an amp installed it worked fine, but my alternator ended up going. How could i prevent that, is that because of a bad ground?

Thanks
Mike

I ran my power and ground 4 awg from the battery back... although if you just want to ground it without running from the battery back, a piece of metal on the bottom of the trunk would be adequate, Don't ground it to the rear shelf, another grounding nut, or a bolt.... remember to scrape away paint so you can see shinny metal, look twice, screw once, make sure to use short screws, you don't want to pierce your gas tank, and keep the ground wire under 3 ft, I would also recommend upgrading the ground wire at your battery to a size equal or greater than the power wire you're installing, unless you're going to run from the battery back.

Last edited:
The spare tire well works good. I sanded, drilled a hole, screwed/washered the bolt in, and covered it in electrical tape. Never had any issues.

I used the big torx bit on the trunk latch. It's best to keep it grounded in the trunk area because it's best to keep the ground wire relatively short.

I used the big torx bit on the trunk latch. It's best to keep it grounded in the trunk area because it's best to keep the ground wire relatively short.

Yes you want to keep your ground wire short, unless you run it to the battery, but you don't want to ground it to where other things are grounded already... it's best to use bare metal, not bolts and nuts....

Yes you want to keep your ground wire short, unless you run it to the battery, but you don't want to ground it to where other things are grounded already... it's best to use bare metal, not bolts and nuts....

Right. I'm not sure if you've ever taken a good look at it, but I'm sure you have, but the trunk latch has a large metal plate torx-bolted into the frame. I've got the ground under the washer for one of the two torx bolts.

all you have to do to see if its a good ground point is take the multimeter out and set it to ohms and take one of the end and put it on the chassis and the other end on the bolt if its at .5 ohms or less then your good to go

Back