• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wiper noise on AM

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
Just noticed this today in rush hour listening to ESPN AM radio.
Noise transmitted to radio when the wipers activated :shrug:
Just wanted to see if anyone else ever noticed this or has a suggestion to fix.
-J

AM? what's that?

you might have some bad wiring to your wiper motor, or bad shielding on the motor itself. I know electrics interfere with AM signals alot, my parents always complain about the microwave messing with their Rush Limbaugh.

Some AM frequencies will get interference from the engine and the sound pitch will rev up and down with the motor. Different frequencies will produce different cool effects. Don't ask why I know this...:laugh:

Different frequencies will produce different cool effects. Don't ask why I know this...:laugh:
I'm guessing its the same reason that I know this :laugh:

It doesn't have to be the engine causing the noise, anything that has considerable electric current I would imagine.

Lot of AM issues result from a bad grounding of the radio antenna..... People get interference with AM just driving close to or going under high line wires... I would say there is a grounding issue somewhere and that is causing your feedback.... IMO, AM needs to be phased out like analog TV.... I hate guys that come in and get a brand new radio and still just use it for AM and wonder why the reception is worse with the new radio.... well that would be because the AM receiver in your factory radio is actually better than an aftermarket radio's... Most Aftermarket radios have great FM receivers and some now have HD tuners which when a radio switches over to HD get really clear, and also provide you with station and song identification. I'm waiting to get a nice flip out with HD built in, when I splurge on that I probably will get sat radio, reverse cam, and GPS.... hopefully with most of it built in.... but that's down the road for now, my setup is pretty nice right now...

Back