• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Good transmissoin fluid change writeup???

macnolias

New CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good picture walk thru or any kind of walk thru for transmission fluid, filter, and gasket change on a 99 Zetec. When I initially poked around the tranny and it looks like a pain accessing almost any of the bolts on the pan besides the bottom 4. The gasket definitely needs to be changed seeing there's a leak coming from it.

Also I did a search on the forums and the net first but found nothing... :shrug:

Last edited:
The filter is not serviceable, at least not without removing the trans and doing a trans teardown.

The simple way to do a trans service is to undo the drain plug at the bottom of the trans and drain out close to 4 of the 10 quarts that the trans holds, refill, drive the car around the block and then repeat. Most of the time this is more than satisfactory. A third time will get you closer to a 100% fluid change.

A more thorough way is to do the "hose in a bucket" flush. I'll describe the method.

Find a bucket. Plastic pail is fine. It helps to calibrate the bucket, but it is not essential. Calibrate by filling the bucket one quart at a time with a measured quart container and mark the bucket.

Obtain about 6 feet of 3/8" clear plastic hose from a hardware store.

Find where the trans cooler lines attach to the radiator. Remove one. Have an assistant tickle the ignition (run the engine very briefly) to determine the flow direction. Attach the hose and drop it into the bucket so that the fluid flows into the bucket. Pull the transmission dipstick and insert a transmission funnel. Depending on how dirty the fluid is, have 10 to 12 quarts of trans fluid at hand. Have your assistant start the car and observe the fluid flow. Add fluid at about the same rate as it moves into the bucket. If it gets ahead of you, shut the engine off and catch up (one or two quarts ahead isn't a problem). Continue until the fluid coming out is as pristine as the fluid going in. If what you add matches what gets into the bucket, you may not need to do any toping off. When finished with the flush (color is pristine), shut the engine off, reattach the line. Start the engine and confirm no leaks where you had the line off. Check fluid level and confirm that it is at the proper level. Road test.

If you feel you need to add a filter, there are dedicated filters that can be installed in line. Magnifine (I think that's the name) makes a good one. It looks similar to a fuel filter, but is specifically made for an automatic transmission. Perma-Cool and B&M make kits that allow you to use a regular oil filter as a trans filter, but you will have a hard time finding a place to mount it.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Well my main concern besides obviously changing the fluid is the gasket to the transmission pan. It being vertical looks impossible to change....

What do I do? I'll do everything in the world besides drop down the tranny. The leak from it is driving me nuts :crazy:

Don't be so sure that the leak is coming from along that gasket. Make sure to clean off the tranny really well and try and isolate the leak better. From personal experience, there is a circular cap with a gasket on the bottom of the tranny, you can't miss it. I was leaking from there and it trickled down the seam in the tranny and led me to believe I was leaking from that big gasket.

Draining the fluid is easy once you figure out how to get the drain plug out. It's a recessed square hole near the back. Put a 3/8" drive extension directly in there without a socket or anything. Refill with a long funnel, through the dipstick tube.

Yea it's definitely coming from the gasket I wiped it off a few times and there's a nice little drip coming from the bottom of the gasket...

So nobody has had to change the gasket before? I wish it wasn't just me with this problem :help:

Yea it's definitely coming from the gasket I wiped it off a few times and there's a nice little drip coming from the bottom of the gasket...

So nobody has had to change the gasket before? I wish it wasn't just me with this problem :help:

Yeah, I've changed it in vehicle on my 2.5. PITA.

Really tight in there, even after loosening the accumulator and pushing it out of the way.

Steve

or you could just try tightening the bolts

or you could just try tightening the bolts

I had a small leak on mine and I just tightened the pan bolts. Stopped it right there.

Yes I've loosened/separated that cover and could have replaced the gasket. You can't get the cover out. It is quite difficult and probably no need to do it. Looked like a good heavy gasket.

Mike

Back