• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 resonators

D

devanmc

well looking under my car i noticed their are 2 resonators. if i were to cut the second one off would that make the car too loud... noise laws? also, would i get any gains from removing it?

well i ran for like a month on just the cat from an accident and i figure just one muffler wouldnt be to loud but you know more then me

its alright. im only wondering cuz i swear my car lost power when the rest of the exhaust got reattached. so i figured if i got rid of part of it. it just might help. but im not about to take it off so no reason

well looking under my car i noticed their are 2 resonators. if i were to cut the second one off would that make the car too loud... noise laws? also, would i get any gains from removing it?

you would be surprised at how good the car will sound if you cut off the muffler and replace it with a straight pipe and a tip.

I did that and replaced the stock Resonator in the middle of the exhaust with a magnaflow resonator, and I get people asking me about it all of the time.

04-20-07_1755.jpg

04-20-07_2002.jpg

ok you live in se mich. right? could you maybe help me out in doing this. probly a couple weeks but def want too. i live in novi

Last edited:
wow ... it was welded right? how much did it cost you to run everything?

yes, it was welded. I had Stazi down in SE michigan do the install. He did really good work on it. I paid $60 for the resonator, $30 for the tip and like $6 for the pipe that replaced the muffler. Then $60 for install by stazi, Im very happy with it. Its great too because in daily driving, cruising around town with the windows down you can definately hear it, but if you dont want to listen to it, put the windows up and its almost not noticeable, and its the same way on the freeway, when im doing 70. I can hardly hear it.

so, if you were to remove one, it's best to remove the back muffler, not the middle one? i thought the middle one was kinda superfluous. the whole pipe layout on the car is kinda weird for my 97 zetec, but i'm thinking about bending my own pipe and dropping the entire system cat-back and putting my dual tip pacesetter muffler on there. gonna need a welder, though.

Honestly a custom 2.5" cat back or header back does wonders for the zetec. the stock exhaust is very restrictive.

dont see a reason why not. you may have to remove some baffles in the muffler though

Back