• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question: Spark Knock

esc123

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a 1997 Contour GL 2.0 Zetec. I was wondering if anyone else has a large amount of knock around the higher rpms of each gear. I have tried upping my octance, but this does not help. Also, the car just seems too sluggish for a 2.0L. Maybe I am just expecting too much out of my car, but the power seems cut down significantly to what I think a 125hp 2.0L could do. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, hope to be on here more in the future. Oh, and no dyno or anything here, so I can't give you any numbers.

Welcome :) . When was the last time you did some maintenance? Spark plugs, spark plug wires, oil and filter change, air filter.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy with work atm and havn't been able to find any free time. As for Maintenace, I change my oil every 3000 miles, new plugs at 96000 ( current mileage 11000), new air filter at 106000, new timing belt, water pump, pcv valve, serpentine belt at 98000 all done at Lincoln-Mercury dealership. New AC compressor and dryer at 105000 ( not related, but maybe?). Cleaned throttle body at 110000 ( spray can and elbow grease). That is about it. I also don't have a tach on this vehicle, so I can't give any real RPM's. Any help would be apreciated.

Havn't done plug wires... <--- culprit?

Is it a possiblilty that the dealership could have fubard my timing belt? The timing could be off, but I don't know how to go about blame onto them... if that is indeed my prob.(Bad idea?)

-Joe

edit: also replaced fuel filter at dealer.

Last edited:
Back