• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whining noise... Possible PS Pump?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I have had this for a few weeks. I've only heard the noise 5-6 times. Mostly when it's really cold (under 10 F).
It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side under the hood around the wheel. It is a screechy/whiney noise, very hard to describe. It has happened maybe 4 or 5 times, and at least twice it was at a stop light and it happened right when the clutch is engaged and the engine dies. I can start it back up and it runs fine.
I've read some posts on here about bad belts, PS pump, Water pump, etc, but those are generally consistent noises. I'm also wondering about wheel bearings... maybe? It seems to be related to very cold weather, but maybe I'm psyc'ing myself out! :crazy:
It hasn't done it now in days, but we've seen pretty decent temps here lately.
Sorry, that got a little long winded. :blackeye:
Anyone have any clues?
Erick --

probably clutch chatter...

if it sounds like your typical squeal from a failing belt, I would say its the water pump belt, the PS pump is on the passenger side of the motor.

remove your IMRC cover and inspect the Water pump belt.

The only way which we will have an educated guess is with a sound clip.

If you say it is near the driver's side, it could be the Water Pump pulley, Water Pump or WP belt.

If you are sure it is the PS pump, then try a drain and refill first (3x) using the turkey baster method. Suction all the PS fluid, fill up reservoir with new fluid, drive for a few miles (turning left and right). Do it two more times.

Other whining metallic sounds could be from the A/c compressor, alternator tensioner, alternator bearings, PS pump bearings, etc.

It has happened maybe 4 or 5 times, and at least twice it was at a stop light and it happened right when the clutch is engaged and the engine dies.
What's this all about? Are you just saying that sometimes you can't get the car going from a stop and you kill the engine and then you'd hear this noise? What were the conditions the other two or three times when you didn't kill the engine? One "noise" that seems to be noticed in cold weather more than in warmer conditions is the "moose" which is not generally defined as a whine. But then, the power steering pump isn't on the driver's side either. Search for "the moose" (it's in the FAQ also) and see if the fix doesn't work for you. Since this noise is random, it may be harder to troubleshoot.
Karl

No, I would consider my shifting/clutching abilities satisfactory. :laugh:
I think those couple of times, it may have been total coincidence or maybe the noise is in the axles, I don't know, I was just hoping someone else had heard of this before.
I'll look into it for more, but it is quite difficult as it is VERY sporadic. I haven't heard it now in over a week. Oh well. Thanks for the ideas, and I'll keep hunting.
Erick --

Something I just thought of is that one time it happened as I was turning right, just a slow roll turning right, it died as I was going around the corner. I don't remember if I was clutching at the time or not... Not likely as I almost always down shift or keep it in gear. Eh, just something else I thought of. Maybe coincides with it dying at the stoplights though...

Are you new to the cold? Every car I've ever started when it's colder than -15 deg F makes that sound. My Contour does too, but once it warms up a little it goes away. How cold does it have to be for it to make the noise?

i would check all belts firt maybe your belt tensioner is siezing up and allowing the belt to slip a bit. it would be hard to tell but a audio clip may help.

clutch chatter is a different noise from whining. its a clattering sound with a disengaged clutch. it doesnt happen to stock clutches. unless of course u've got a SPEC. also, does it happen when u turn ur wheel at all?

Yeah, it has happened when I was turning a couple times.
It just happened this morning while I was slowing down on the interstate. I was going about 75ish, and the traffic in front started slowing, so I started hitting the brakes. I could barely hear the noise, but it was there.
It was +1 degree when I left this morning. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was a brake hanging up or something. That is the only thing that I can think of at this point, but it's too friggin cold to pull off the wheel to check! :blackeye:
If/When I find it, I'll post here just in case anyone runs into this problem later.
Erick --

Back