• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

KEY WONT TURN IN THE IGNITION!! WHAT'S WRONG!!!!!

detroitsvt

Be Gentle I'm New Here
One day I went to start my Contour. I put the key in the ignition and it seemed as if it didn't fit anymore. After a lil bit of force i got the key on the ignition but the key wouldn't turn the ignition anymore. I'd like an opinion from you guys as to what may be wrong and how to fix it. Thanks.

Check inside the lock cylinder for any foreign objects. Do you have another key you could try? If not, is your current key bent or damaged in any way? Is the steering wheel locked? Maybe jiggle it a bit to get it unlocked if it is. Had that problem with mine once... it wouldn't unlock, and the key wouldn't turn forward.

Worst case, you'll need to get a new ignition lock cylinder. You'd have your normal key for the doors/trunks and a different key to start the car.

My mother had trouble with that for years, yes, turn the steering wheel various ways from sunday while gently turning the key. Move the transmission lever the same way a little bit. Sometimes even pressing on the brake seemed to help!!

Good Luck

Mike

other than an operator error (as noted in the above posts) the other options would be a bad interlock, bent key, fubar'd ignition cylinder, or you are using the wrong keys.. :D

I'd bank on the fact that your steering wheel was "locked" (turned after the key is removed) and now you must hold it in an "unlocked" position while turning the key to "on"

there is a chance that the lock cylinder is fubar'd, I had it happen to me on the way home from SZ one year, the cylinder jammed up and I couldn't turn it to the start possition. Luckly I could turn it to run and push start the car ...

Back