• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus shift tower cable ends for 98+ MTX75

Rejoice all Focus tower owners.

I have found the link that fits onto a Focus shift tower using the new style 98+ shifter cable.

If you remember the original Contour ends had a square hole and an orange spring loaded clamp. Well the new cable have a threaded rod with a notched entry for the cables. This will fix the problem people are having with getting a Focus tower on a newer Contour, or ones that had to have their cables replaced by the newer style.

Also, these do have the bigger ball socket for the Focus ends, as you know the Contour one has smaller balls :crazy:

See photos below.

Attachments

• 7412_2.jpg
    7412_2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 7412_1.jpg
    7412_1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6
Good stuff Bill! Wish I had known this a few months ago . . .

I still have a brand new Focus tower on the shelf because I didn't feel like dealing with the mismatch when i put everything back in the car.

Good stuff Bill! Wish I had known this a few months ago . . .

I still have a brand new Focus tower on the shelf because I didn't feel like dealing with the mismatch when i put everything back in the car.

I just came across the info on Tuesday while researching this for a Cougar customer. So I looked at the links for a 2003+ Focus this is what I found.

The black one should be here later today.

Tell anyone you know, it's tough to let a lot of people know on the forums. But I am sure there are several people needing these.

For future reference, the cables are XS7Z-7E395-AB, This is the newer stlye. If you have a Focus Tower you will also need 2S4Z-7412-AA and 2S4Z-7412-BA. These will fit a Focus tower with a Contour/Cougar that has the new style cables.

Breakdown:
Cable ends for stock MTX75 transmission from 1998 to 04/01/1999,
F7RZ-7412-AA (WHITE)
XS8Z-7412-GA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus Tower with old style cables,
YS4Z-7412-HA (WHITE)
YS4Z-7412-JA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus tower with newer style cables,
2S4Z-7412-AA (WHITE)
2S4Z-7412-BA (BLACK)

If you have a 04/01/1999 to 2002 Contour/Cougar with a stock cable, the ends only come with a new cable.

so can I get this straight?

The shift cables at the shifter will remain the same.

The cable ends at the shift tower can be changed to mate with the Focus shifter?

so can I get this straight?

The shift cables at the shifter will remain the same.

The cable ends at the shift tower can be changed to mate with the Focus shifter?

if thats true and I coulda picked them up today instead of ordering them...I'm gonna go throat chop all the ford dealers in the local area.

I brought this to his attention a week ago to help me with the problem. It's good to see its helping others.
SVTeve i feel the same way, my local dealer said not my problem and screwed me over. Only ordering parts from Bill now, and not to mention he actually knows what he sales and tries to resolve problems.:p

I just got off the phone with Steve at Tousley Ford - I needed a shift cable collet for my 00 SVT. I asked him about the replaceable ends - he said the part # XS8Z-7412-GA (BLACK) was listed for 98-00. It is on backorder until late this month, but I'm going to order it and see if it will work. If not- I'll make it work..

I just got off the phone with Steve at Tousley Ford - I needed a shift cable collet for my 00 SVT. I asked him about the replaceable ends - he said the part # XS8Z-7412-GA (BLACK) was listed for 98-00. It is on backorder until late this month, but I'm going to order it and see if it will work. If not- I'll make it work..

I ordered it from Bill at Teamford and I got it in about a week.

That's good to hear. I wasn't in a hury with mine eaither. The rubber gommet in the center of my white end was gone. I ordered both of them and it shifts much nicer now. They were a PITA to install. They did not want to come off.

That's good to hear. I wasn't in a hury with mine eaither. The rubber gommet in the center of my white end was gone. I ordered both of them and it shifts much nicer now. They were a PITA to install. They did not want to come off.

Good to hear - I'm sick of trying to shift into 5th and getting 3rd insted...

Ok, kind of resurecting the thread here I know, but after reading through it I feel a bit confused. I'll be pulling the engine/trans out of my 00 SVT in the next couple weeks to replace with a 3L and the trans from my 99 SE. I haven't seen the cable ends on the SVT yet so I'm not sure which style they are, and I haven't (yet) ordered a new shift tower, though after some reading it seems that is a good idea. The confusion and thus the question comes with will I need new cable ends for the new tower on a 2000 or does it already have the newer style? I'd like to know so that when I go into parts I can order up the right stuff, but don't want to order anything not needed.

If I were worried about the tower I'd get the Haines keyed tower done. Don't have to F with towers and cables. The Focus tower can break too.

If you have the stock tower and the stock cables for a 2000, then there are no links available. If something happens, then you have to get all new cables. You have to get a Focus shift tower in order to use replaceable links, or still have the old style cables.

Back