• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rough running

Nightwolf

CEG'er
OK changed the plugs then changed the oil and found my O2 sensor plug unplugged well i plugged it back in then got in and drove around the block well it ran like SHizzle for a bit then it would clear up then if the RPM dropped down it would run like crap then pick up again, like a misfire, could it be that the PCM is retuning its self from the new information from the O2 sensor or is there something else i am over looking?

When you changed your plugs, you pulled the wires more than one at a time, didn't you?

Inspect your wiring order by looking at the coil pack and noting the sticker on it, then compare to the firing order on the engine itself. Two cylinders are NOT a direct placement.. they are swapped

edit:

here is the firing order, note the swap...
Firewall

Coilpack
4 6 5
3 2 1

Motor
1 2 3
4 5 6

headlights

It could be that it is re-learning, I would reset the PCM by pulling a pair of fuses for a few minutes. Sorry, I don't remember which ones. Can be found with a simple search.

When you changed your plugs, you pulled the wires more than one at a time, didn't you?

Inspect your wiring order by looking at the coil pack and noting the sticker on it, then compare to the firing order on the engine itself. Two cylinders are NOT a direct placement.. they are swapped

edit:

here is the firing order, note the swap...
No ray i didnt thanks for playing tho. I pulled the neg cable reset the PCM and now its running fine.

Remember Ray to assume makes an... well you know the rest. J/K :)

If the CEL lights up again, have it read at Autozone or Advance and post the exact code(s).

No.. I didn't assume, I played the odds. Just like Vegas, you can lose there, too. I'd say the same thing on the next rough running/plugs related post.

Its not even technically considered a gamble.. its almost a direct payout every time.

No.. I didn't assume, I played the odds. Just like Vegas, you can lose there, too. I'd say the same thing on the next rough running/plugs related post.

Its not even technically considered a gamble.. its almost a direct payout every time.

Shut up about that already! Geez! One mistake & I can never live it down!

:laugh:

Yes, I did it the first time I changed my plugs/wires out too. :blackeye:

Took me a long time to figure it out. Glad I didn't harm my engine.

Oh.. haha.. I wasn't talking about you.. There are a ton of people.. the MAJORITY of people, I would say..

Oh.. haha.. I wasn't talking about you.. There are a ton of people.. the MAJORITY of people, I would say..
Probably 9 out of 10 posters who say "I changed my spark plugs this weekend and now it idles rough" :laugh: Which is why, the first thing we suggest is the sp wiring order. :laugh:

OK changed the plugs then changed the oil and found my O2 sensor plug unplugged well i plugged it back in then got in and drove around the block well it ran like SHizzle for a bit then it would clear up then if the RPM dropped down it would run like crap then pick up again, like a misfire, could it be that the PCM is retuning its self from the new information from the O2 sensor or is there something else i am over looking?

Ok changed the wires and runs rough as heck checked firing order 5 times and it still runs like butt, well then i got a code bank one O2 sensor i am thinking no O2 sensor is making the back bank run lean and run like arse.

okay.. you checked the GAP on the plugs?

made sure the plug boot was FULLY clipped on the rear bank of plugs (its a tight fit with the UIM on and hard to fully seat sometimes.

Last edited:
okay.. you checked the GAP on the plugs?

made sure the plug boot was FULLY clipped on the rear bank of plugs (its a tight fit with the UIM on and hard to fully seat sometimes.

Yeah gapped them my self at the store while at the counter. And made sure i got them on the best i could they all clicked,

Probably 9 out of 10 posters who say "I changed my spark plugs this weekend and now it idles rough" :laugh: Which is why, the first thing we suggest is the sp wiring order. :laugh:

That's why you only change one plug at a time and this goes for all cars, not just the Duratec.

I've changed the pugs on both of my cars several times and doing them one at a time never caued a mix up with the wires.

he didnt say he was just like OH you need to replace it and cheared the code..

Well, then I certainly don't believe him.. and you shouldn't either.

if they give you a PART that is the problem, it will either be "oh, you're o2 sensors bad" or "your cats are gone"

never another possibility with them, and rarely correct.

he didnt say he was just like OH you need to replace it and cheared the code..
The CEL is probably lighted. Take to Advance or Autozone, have the codes read (free service) and post the exact codes here.

Back