• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Cradle Replacement

Jim Myres

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have a 1998 Contour with a 2.5 Liter 6 and automatic. The engine cradle was dented near the left front when the car hit a center divider. While the car is drivable. It threw the alignment out and pushed the cradle up a little, enough so that the transmission case is just touching the cradle and the engine vibration can now be heard in the car due to the lack of isolation through the motor mount.

There are alos some nuts near the dent in the cradle area and the rear bushing where the cradle mounts to the suframe appears to be out of alignment a little or distorted.

My question is:

Where can I obtain a engine cradle at a reasonable cost in the US? Also, how diffucult is it to replace?

Welcome :) .

If you are referring to the tranny to driverside fender mount, I just got one from Autozone. (Anchor 2873, $44). Note that the price is about $90 at Advance for the same part (???????)

Edit. If you are referring to the Front (left side) engine mount, it is $18 or so from Autozone (Anchor 2888 for the insert only).

ANCHOR 2873LLT $43.99
icon_store_not.gif
icon_web_in.gif
Attached to fender apron
grey_line.gif
ANCHOR Insert only 2888LLT $17.99
icon_store_not.gif
icon_web_in.gif
Attached to crossmember

Last edited:
I suspect that you are talking about the front subframe. It is what the engine and transmission are mounted to.

You are not likely to be able to find a new one, and if you did it would be pretty expensive. Try to find a used one. You might try wrecking yards (look for a car that wasn't smacked in the front) and you might try looking here in the classifieds for someone that is parting out a car.

I'm pretty sure that you need to make sure that it is for a V6, Automatic Trans, and has the same style front "A" arms (two bolt or four bolt).

It's quite a job to replace. You need to suspend the engine from above and then disconnect everything that attaches to the subframe.

It's quite a job to replace. You need to suspend the engine from above and then disconnect everything that attaches to the subframe.

accually the 2 fender mounts hold the powertrain in place and no need to support :)

it still would be a good idea for added safety though

Back