• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

This really sucks!!!

contourspd98

Veteran CEG'er
So I got a call this morning from the bank telling me that my loan had come through for $3100. So I could purchase a 99 CSVT for $3900. All original SF w/MB interior. A little over 115k miles. I give the car lot a call this afternoon and tell them the news and that I will be in tomorrow to pick up the car.(I had already signed paperwork on Friday, they said that it was my car, I just had to pay for it) The salesman tells me that someone came in this morning and bought the car. Right out from underneath me. He came in and paid cash for the car.

Dsc00106.jpg

Dsc00104.jpg

Dsc00103.jpg

Dsc00102.jpg

Dsc00100.jpg

Dsc00098.jpg

Now the question is do I fight it?

I sure as hell would. Talk to the guy who bought it and the dealer, see if you can't work something out.

woa man, that sucks. Similar thing happened to me last summer, but i ended up with a better car in the long run

I'm gonna take the paperwork that I have and go to a lawyer and see what they say... Hopefully they'll say that I should get the car...

Since you signed "paperwork" (you didn't specify what kind) it sounds like you have a case, but I'm not quite sure what the outcome will be. You'll be screwing over that other buyer if you are awarded the car, so it sounds unlikely that is what would happen.

idk, but i'd say its just a case of tough luck for you...my thinking is that you signed 'papers'...problem is the other guy came with $$$...i dont believe a dealer is obligated to hold a car, especially if no deposit changed hands.

I do sorta understand how you feel...yrs ago when my wife was buying her altima, she negotiated a deal for and se....leather, snrf, 5spd...it was sold to someone else before they could finalize the deal

that was a nice lookin svt, though....hell fight and see what you can come up with ...good luck

actually, i just thought about something else...when i bought a duratec taurus a few yr ago, i had to leave it at the dealership because i didn't have anyone to drive my other car home...the sales manager didn't liek that idea and told me to hurry back to pick up the car...i dont know what the problem was, but maybe it the car is still at the dealership, regardless of what deal may have been struck, it might be fair game

Last edited:
The main question is, did you put a credit car down or any cash amount to hold the car?

If not you can sign any paper you choose to. I'm sorry man but you have no case.

I did this for my car and that evening a man came in to buy the same car. HE also signed papers for the same car and was placed as a second buyer. He wasn't allowed to put any money down to hold his place because only the 1st buyer can do this.

Good luck man i hope you do end up with the car.

Since you signed "paperwork" (you didn't specify what kind) it sounds like you have a case, but I'm not quite sure what the outcome will be. You'll be screwing over that other buyer if you are awarded the car, so it sounds unlikely that is what would happen.

Well right now I don't really care if the other driver gets screwed on the deal... I'm screwed over right now...

The main question is, did you put a credit car down or any cash amount to hold the car?

If not you can sign any paper you choose to. I'm sorry man but you have no case.

I did this for my car and that evening a man came in to buy the same car. HE also signed papers for the same car and was placed as a second buyer. He wasn't allowed to put any money down to hold his place because only the 1st buyer can do this.

Good luck man i hope you do end up with the car.

I didn't leave any deposit on the car... But thats because the salesman told me that I didn't need to... I asked him a couple of times, and he still said no... I went back to the dealer and talked to the guy who sold it and he had said that if I would have left a deposit on the car that it would have been mine.

Yep, should have left a deposit. Most times the salespeople are trying their darndest to get you to leave a deposit. :shrug:

You should just move on. The attorney fees will be more than the car is worth.

As a member above said, sometimes these things happen for a reason and you might end up happier with something else looking back on it all.

Mike

Tough break but look on the bright side, there are plenty of nice SVT's for sale in the classifieds from 300+ horse monsters to bone stock. Best of luck.

It's a messed up situation but you'll have to deal with it. The dealer is not obligated to hold the car for you just because of a verbal agreement.

I probably screwed someone over when I bought my Lexus. I called up the dealership when I saw the car on eBay and asked about the details on the car. They told me that a buyer was supposed to come down that night with a deposit to hold the car and that if I wanted it, I would have to PayPal over some cash right away. I waited a little while to think it all over and finally decided to go forward with it. I called back a few hours later and the other customer didn't show up yet so I went ahead and gave my deposit. I drove down the next week and picked up the car. Yeah, I probably screwed over the other potential buyer, but you have to do what you have to do when you are looking for that "perfect" car of yours.

I probably screwed someone over when I bought my Lexus. I called up the dealership when I saw the car on eBay and asked about the details on the car. They told me that a buyer was supposed to come down that night with a deposit to hold the car and that if I wanted it, I would have to PayPal over some cash right away. I waited a little while to think it all over and finally decided to go forward with it. I called back a few hours later and the other customer didn't show up yet so I went ahead and gave my deposit. I drove down the next week and picked up the car. Yeah, I probably screwed over the other potential buyer, but you have to do what you have to do when you are looking for that "perfect" car of yours.

That could've been true in your case, but sometimes dealerships say that sort of thing to get you to act fast, when there really isn't another person.

I do agree thought that the OP should have put a deposit down, even if the stupid salesman said it wasn't necessary at that time. That's just b/s.

That could've been true in your case, but sometimes dealerships say that sort of thing to get you to act fast, when there really isn't another person.

Yeah, believe me. I know that trick. It wasn't really a risk I was willing to take though. The price was below value, very low miles, and every single option I was looking for. I wasn't willing to risk it and spend another few months or more searching for another one.

contourspd98 said:
I didn't leave any deposit on the car... But thats because the salesman told me that I didn't need to... I asked him a couple of times, and he still said no... I went back to the dealer and talked to the guy who sold it and he had said that if I would have left a deposit on the car that it would have been mine.

Sounds like a inside job. You go in, see the car, decide to buy and sign the papers. Salesman receives a call while your signing, it's his buddy who says he wants the contour he had seen earlier and will be down shortly with cash to buy it. Salesman has no idea how to tell you this, and knows you are there before his buddy can get there, and by all rights, the car is yours. so the "oops i forgot to tell you to put money down" card is pulled out and used. You finishing signing the papers, and walk away thinking the car is yours. 20 mins later his buddy shows up, drops the cash and drives away. EVERYONE knows that if you are serious about purchasing a car, you put money down, SOMETHING down to hold the car for a set period of time before it is released to be sold again, and your money refunded. You offered to put something down, and he refused. You got shafted..

yep, these guys are right.
if you would have left $1, then by law you and the dealer are under contract and they cannot sell the car to someone else, even if they had 1 million dollars.
if you decide to fight this, remember, you do NOT know who bought that car, nor do you know how they would take the news of having to give it up.
can you say.......sugar in tank??
take that money from your crdit union/bank and talk to some of these guys on CEG.......you might come up on something that might be slightly modded for the same price that you were going to buy that bone stock CSVT.:cool:

As a member above said, sometimes these things happen for a reason and you might end up happier with something else looking back on it all.

Mike

I can only hope so...

It's a messed up situation but you'll have to deal with it. The dealer is not obligated to hold the car for you just because of a verbal agreement.

The thing is that it wasn't just a verbal agreement... It was also a written agreement... I have the delivery agreement, odometer verification and a receipt for the price of the car, taxes and fees. Plus the paper in the car that
showed that the car was sold to me.

Dsc00104.jpg

If you signed a purchase order or a spot delivery form, it's legally your car. Most financed car purchases aren't funded right away, due to it being past the lender's business hours (after 5, weekends, etc...) and you do a "spot delivery" meaning the money is coming but the loan isn't funded yet. This sounds like your situation. IMO, you have a case. You signed a contract and they'd hold you to it if you broke it, why allow them to break it?

were you going to pay cash for the car??? or did you finance it?

im trying to understand how you have a reciept if you didn't pay anything?

if you had a deal for zero down and financed it, then sounds like its your car...if that is the case contact the dealer and try to get them to get it back or call the police and report it as stolen...

Back