• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5L interchangeability

TPE331mechanic

New CEG'er
hello everbody got a quick question, used the search function and could not find a answer.

I have a 99svt, which just spun a rod bearing today (lucky me)

Heres the question, I have a 95 2.5L sitting in my garage. Can I use the long block from that by just changing the upper end componets. UIM, LIM and cams. This is just a short term thing till I get the bottom end rebuilt. I don't have time to do a 3.0L conversion I just need my car up and running. Any help would be great I got the engine out of the car. So as soon as get some info im gonna put it all back together. Thanks in advance I love the site.

You might have some problems with the wiring harness. The 95 PCM is different from the 99.

Yeah I sould have been more clear. Im gonna strip down the 95 2.5L and just use the block, heads, oil pan and the timing parts minus the cams.
Sorry for being shooty with the info. thanks

Dumb to not do it properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun pulling it a second time. And then more $ in the long run.

I know someone if you're near Detroit with an SVT block for $100. Bolt on you heads and call it a day.

I will have fun pulling it a second time since I can do the whole job in like 6 hours. You got the guys name I will go pick it up right now for $100 LOL
Thanks

so can I do the swap with the older 2.5L???
I would rather put the short block in todras, since this old 2.5L I got has 167K on it.

LMK either way can I get the guys contact info?

Thanks in advance

Take that! Better deal than mine. See all you have to do is ask CEG. Someone always has parts or knows someone. Just don't put non SVT pistons in that car.

yeah thats a better deal but I don't have time to drive to cinncinat. I would rather have the one in detriot because its closer. So can I have the contact info????

ok I get its fundamentally "wrong" but this is just a quick fix till I can rebuild the svt motor. Inless I can find a svt short block locally im gonna have go this route. thanks

Not too many shops have been able to properly build a 2.5 it seems. At least on the boards. I wouldn't trust anyone to do it. Rather get a 3L short block and be done and have the extra HP. Or do the ported oval heads with the 2.5 stuff on top. Silly do go through the same work for stock power levels.

I see what you are saying but im just out of time....kinda sucks this happened
now. I want to do the 3L thing, I can get a low mileage motor for $500. But I don't have the time to put it all together. We will see what happens....

Thanks for the replies

If you don't have time now when will you? Come see this post when you have everything sorted out and let me know I'm right. ;) That is the worst arguement ever. Do what you will but if you're going to have to put a 2.5 together then no difference putting a 3L block on it.

Ok todras maybe your right. I will go pick up the 3L and do a hybrid swap.
I have been reading up on it and it seems pretty straight forward.
One question will it require a tune right away or can I wait a few weeks?
I plan on swaping the timing parts and the UIM and the LIM and then porting the heads to match. This seems like the quickest and the most reliable way to go. Any feedback would be great thanks.

Well I put a 3.0L out of a 02...did the oval port swap used the 3.0L heads with the svt cams and LIM and UIM. Swap took me about 3 days total. Got it started today and drove it around the block seems good to go. Tell you what the swap was easy dealing with the Freaking junkyard was the problem still going around with them.......But at least its fixed. Thanks all for the feedback.
The site helped out alot could not have done it otherwise....Thanks

Back