• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator, Mega Fuse, or both?

showngo

CEG'er
I've started having some issues with my 99 SVT. The other night, after dinner, I went to start the car, and it was completely dead. Dim lights, the whole nine yards. So I got a jump and went straight to Autozone. I left the car running and ran inside to get someone to come and check the battery. While waiting, the car dies, the battery completely dead. When someone finally came out, we were unable to test the battery (b/c it was drained), however, the battery was still under warranty so they went ahead and replaced it. So I thought "cool, that was probably it." Wrong.

The next night, my wife and I are driving to tulsa (about 20 miles one way), and I notice that my Voltmeter in the car goes from 14V to 12V while I'm doing 70MPH. Kinda weird, I thought. So I keep an eye on it, and it finally goes back to 14V while driving. Car gets us around fine and acts normal once again.

So today I get in the car and upon starting it, the Voltmeter reads 14V upon initial startup then descends to 12V within minutes. Drove to Tulsa again, and it stays at 12V this time. The Voltage continually drops until eventually (as I'm pulling in my driveway) it goes to about 10V. Pulled into the garage and killed the car....it won't start back.

Does this sound like an alternator that killed over? I did think so, but now it confuses me after searching about the Mega Fuse and such. The battery light in the car has NEVER came on. Please point me in the right direction on my troubleshooting. Where should I start? Thanks in advance.

Ok does your battery light come on?..
I had a problem like this before..My plug on my ALT for the volt regulator came unpluged..

Get under the car and inspect that plug im telling you about on the back of the ALT..Check for cracked loose wires and make sure its pluged in..Mine on my old SVT came unpluged since the safety clip was broke.

Your alternator is dead.

Same thing happened to mine, never got a battery light the whole time.

FWIW, the driving range on a fully charged battery is around 30-45 minutes if you spare the electrical accessories.

Steve

Last edited:
Back