• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Safe to remove?

candyman

New CEG'er
so ive yet to decide to remove this piece. its quite ugly. and wont come cleaner than it is.

i just think its really ugly, and im gonna buy the cougar headers eventually so.

The heat given off by the exhaust can erode rubber and plastic if something is too close. Try your best to clean it but if it doesn't get any cleaner replace it or leave it.

You might get away w/out a heat shield if you get ceramic headers, but that is quite a chunk of change.

Edit: Noticed your getting headers, so you can remove it after headers are installed.

yeah, wheres a place to get decently priced new or lightly used replacement parts besides a junk yard and autozone. theyres a bunch of little parts and pieces i need that im having a pain finding.

Meh, I haven't had a heat shield for five months now, and I've had no problems. As long as nothing is too close then it isn't a big deal. Just my $.02

Meh, I haven't had a heat shield for five months now, and I've had no problems. As long as nothing is too close then it isn't a big deal. Just my $.02
i dont have a heatshield on mine. even with the turbo right there i havent had any problems.

it might be good to point out that there was an extended warranty coverage of the underhood wiring because of the amount of heat under the hood leading to premature wire coating failure. the heat sheild helps keep the temperature from getting to intense. i would leave it on and google for a u pull it junkyard close to you and get one that is in better shape. or take it off and paint it black with the black exhaust manifold paint they sell at autozone.

"Polish it"

"Polish it"

Mine was real dirty/pitted/ugly too. Just unbolt it, get a wire bristle head,sanding discs and or polishing heads throw them in your drill and clean it up. Make sure you have it secured propely in a vise and "polish" your heart away.

Like everyone says, it is a heat shield. If you are going to stick with
the stock exhaust I recommend that you do not remove it.
I hope to upgrade my 1995 Zetec to headers. Probably look nicer too.

I put a set of DC sports headers (4-2-1) on my Mitsubishi Eclipse
to replace the stock cast exhaust manifold. Stock unit had a heat shield
and the heat under the hood was mighty high. The headers reduced
the under hood temperature dramatically and no heat shield.
Not sure why but I would guess the ceramic coating had something to
do with it. Headers weigh less too. I guess less mass means it retains
less heat.

Regards.
Gary -- Atlanta.

heat shield

heat shield

I've installed ceramic headers and I wish to have a heat shield. Going without a shield shield WILL distort Conveluded tubing and add a wee bit of heat to the front area in the engine bay. In stop and go traffic that translates into more heat around the Rad. And we all know how COOL the Zetec is I mean runs.....

I've installed ceramic headers and I wish to have a heat shield. Going without a shield shield WILL distort Conveluded tubing and add a wee bit of heat to the front area in the engine bay. In stop and go traffic that translates into more heat around the Rad. And we all know how COOL the Zetec is I mean runs.....

Oh please. We did work on my exhaust ten minutes after I had driven for 30 miles, and it wasn't that hot under there. It wasn't bad at all. The only hose that's really in the way is that one coolant hose, otherwise your fine...

Back