• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No Blower for the HVAC, getting Hot!!

Ra\/en

CEG'er
Hi everyone,

My air and everything was working great, then yesterday it started to cut out a little when I would start the car, then it would come right back on. But, in the evening, I reset the Car's ECU by pulling the fuses to do so, so that I could get rid of a CEL that I had on for a transmission related issue. I start the car and nothing blows out of the any of the vents. Not even on High. I have replaced the resistor pack thing years ago and it still looks good, that is not the problem. I also can hear the AC kick in so I know the AC itself is working.

But I also check the blower motor itself by hot wiring it to the battery. It works. The connector and wires that plugs into the blower motor look good. The fuses #23 and #37 are good. The connector that goes into that fuse box inside the car all look good and the panel itself looks good. Wires too.

I also replaced the blower Motor Switch that the knob connects to. That didn't work. The connector and wires that plug into that also look good.

What else can I check? It is getting hot here in Indiana and it is only going to get hotter this week, into the 90s.

Please chime in with any suggestions on what I can check.

Thank you.

Ok. I think I figured out the problem now.
I took a closer look at the interior fuse box again and tried to find the Red/Green wires and connector. Since I found a post on the old forums that said this fails.

Found out the red wire looks a little darker than it should. Probably the problem. But I can't get it out of where it plugs into though yet, maybe it is melted into it. But after pulling on the red wire a little. And putting everything back together, the blower works.

So now I have to find the posts on how to repair this. I am hoping that it is only the connector that needs to be replaced and not the board it plugs into.

Thanks for the replies, I will try to find those posts and try to fix the problem.

Thanks again.

Alright. I have no idea what part(s) to order to repair this. I don't know if Ford sells just the wire harness and connector to replace that and I don't know if I need to replace the whole board or what. If I do have to replace the board it looks like it would be very expensive. Also I don't know what that board or fuse box is actually called or the wire connector's part name is either.

Anyone that can help please do. I saw one post where some guy said he has fixed many of these with a Bosch type relay, with socket and fuse holder. I have no clue what to do with those parts though and the last time he logged into the site was Feb. 2006, so I can't ask him.

Thanks.

Alright. I have no idea what part(s) to order to repair this. I don't know if Ford sells just the wire harness and connector to replace that .....
I believe you need the wire connector. The part number is in this thread.

"Just for grins, and for anyone looking at this someday after I broom those pics off my server, the part number for the kit is F5RZ-14A411-CA. It's about $14. " SetiRich

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1056473&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Alright, That is actually the part number for the Wire Connector for the Blower resistor but I guess I will make it work. I will be getting it today and hopefully have air again soon.

One more question, I can see that the Red wire must be for the blower. But what is the Green smaller wire for? Without it the car will turn over but will not start. Does it have soemthing to do with fuel?

Thanks for the help on that part number. I wish they made a repair kit for this particular problem though, since more people than just me have had this problem.

~Ra\/en

...But what is the Green smaller wire for? Without it the car will turn over but will not start. Does it have soemthing to do with fuel?
IIRC, one green wire goes to the Power Distribution Box (Fuse 4 igniton) and one green wire goes to the ignition switch.

Back