• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ksport coilovers

No, I got ahold of a guy at Ksport who denied they were the same as D2's.

They strut and perch etc design seem to be the same, as do many other products offered by Ksport and D2 (for other cars). The valving inside is probably the same too. Rara and I are betting that its the same manf. of parts, just re-branded

Ksport said that their springs were linear, and from what Ive read the D2's are progressive.

Ive been planning on picking up a set of Ksports, im just waiting for the right time.

the D2's are most certainly NOT progressive.

Interesting, I had heard that they were. I also heard the Ksports were, but the manf. cleared that up for me.

Beats me, they dont have any shock data, or anything. Ksport says you can have any spring rate you want. The spring rates listed on ultrarevs sight are ok for a contour and they probably went off of what everyone else was doing.

Someones gotta take the jump, it would have been me eventually....

Well, so far, I know of two people that have them. I've got one set, and my car still isn't back together yet, and the other guy has them on his car, but is still trying to get them tuned where he likes them. He was supposed to bring it by my house this weekend, but I haven't seen him yet.

In all honestly, I really think there are a couple of design considerations that Ksport needs to address before I would recommend them. Things that I plan to adress myself on my set, and I will be discussing with Ksport. One is a pretty serious design omission, and the other is using a design that is extremely dependant on installation practice whether its safe or not. (and the installation directions are practically non-existant)
Hang tight, and in the near future there will be a couple of us posting up some good feedback for this setup.

In general im not really fellin them. The lack of strut mount tab where the pinch bolt to the hub is gives them a C- in my opinion

Well, so far, I know of two people that have them. I've got one set, and my car still isn't back together yet, and the other guy has them on his car, but is still trying to get them tuned where he likes them. He was supposed to bring it by my house this weekend, but I haven't seen him yet.

In all honestly, I really think there are a couple of design considerations that Ksport needs to address before I would recommend them. Things that I plan to adress myself on my set, and I will be discussing with Ksport. One is a pretty serious design omission, and the other is using a design that is extremely dependant on installation practice whether its safe or not. (and the installation directions are practically non-existant)
Hang tight, and in the near future there will be a couple of us posting up some good feedback for this setup.
Cool keep me in the loop on this one. I sent them a message about setting up a possible gb for us on these

I take it this is the design flaw? I wonder why no one spoke out with the D2's?

Yes and no. It was an intentional design choice on the part of Ksport; they apparently didn't feel it was likely enough to be a problem to add the extra piece with a tab on it. As an automotive design engineer for OEM stuff, I am trained to go through all of the potential failure modes, and rate them based on likelyhood of occuring and on severity of a problem if it occurs, and depending on how the ratings turn out determines how much work you put into it. In this case the occurance would be low, but the severity very high, which to me warrants a design change.

All that said, Ksport has agreed to take a look at my concerns, and consider them. If they still feel it isn't necessary to make a change, which is thier perogative; I will be "fixing" mine on my own, and might be willing to make "upgrade" kits for other people buying the Ksports and apparently the D2's as well.

Ok i have a couple stupid questions....
1) Do these coilovers need struts or are they included in the package?
2) After a few years of use what will it take to maintain the coilovers, just new springs?
3) Will stock ride height be able to be maintained or will these lower the vehicle?

Pic of the Ksports as delivered.

IMG_3712.sized.jpg

Ok i have a couple stupid questions....
1) Do these coilovers need struts or are they included in the package?
2) After a few years of use what will it take to maintain the coilovers, just new springs?
3) Will stock ride height be able to be maintained or will these lower the vehicle?

One more dumb question from another Matt, I searched and didn't find anyone asking this, but in general with coilovers, is it true that the more you lower, the stiffer the ride? So if you were set at stock ride height, ride would be fairly compliant, lowered 1" it would be stiffer, 2" even more stiff?

I believe on the Ksports you lower or raise the car by adjusting the Strut body sleave in the mount rather than adjusting the spring seat on the strut body. That ensures the spring and strut have the same amount of travel after adjustment as they did before and not changing the ride quality.

The Ground Control setup is different because they are using a sleave over the shock body and the only way to adjust height is by raising or lowering the spring perch thus changing the amount of strut / spring travel available.

from what ive noticed full dampers offer a much smoother ride than using a sleeves type coilover as well depending on your settings of course.

Back