• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing shifter cables

silverfrost

CEG'er
so, i'm attempting to replace the shifter cables on my 98 svt. i havn't gotten too far yet though. so far, i took off the center counsel, and the cupholder thing and got the two ends out by the shifter. i can't get the ends off by the tranny yet. it's been a pain in the butt so far. i also saw that there's a cable guide in the middle of all this. how do you get to that? it's gotta come out, right? what should i do first? help!

so, i'm attempting to replace the shifter cables on my 98 svt. i havn't gotten too far yet though. so far, i took off the center counsel, and the cupholder thing and got the two ends out by the shifter. i can't get the ends off by the tranny yet. it's been a pain in the butt so far. i also saw that there's a cable guide in the middle of all this. how do you get to that? it's gotta come out, right? what should i do first? help!

I did this on my Cougar a while back, and it is NO FUN.

The ends on the tranny were stuck for me too, and I couldn't figure out how to get them loose gracefully. But since the cables were shot anyway, I just obliterated them with a big pair of pliers until they fell off.

The cable guide for me was in the floor, WAY UP by the firewall. I had to cut a flap into the carpet to get to it. It's no big deal - it's under the dash, so you can't see it when everything's put back together.

I use a small prybar very carefully to pop the cable ends off. If you can get someone in the car to feed teh new cable while you're underneath it's a big help. I did some alone. Not too big a deal. Just time consuming.

Zip tie the new cables to the ends of the old cables from the interior side and pull the new ones through when you remove the old?

Zip tie the new cables to the ends of the old cables from the interior side and pull the new ones through when you remove the old?

Due to the retainer in the floor, you have to PULL the old ones out, and PUSH the new ones back in, all from the inside. They won't go both ways.

Good thought, though.

Last edited:
As stated on the old forums. Needs more searching ppl.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ranny&Number=1117423&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

...on fitting.Feed the cable ends thru the floor hole
one at a time,stagger them....then they go thru.Once
thru go under the car and zip tie the two cables
together...then feed over the steering rack guide...a
helper inside the car can feed them thru the hole as
you(under the car) guide them over the rack guide and
towards the bracket....;)

well, i got the old cables out. i cut them in the middle and pulled each end out so it'd be easier to take the ends off the bracket mounted on the trans. i found my way to the cable guide. still have to unbolt that. now i'm just waiting on griffin ford to get the cables. really excited to get them in. i wanna drive my baby :cry:

I know how you feel. Mine broke over a holiday weekend, so all of the orders were delayed an extra day. All told, my car was up on jacks for NINE DAYS...

yay! it's finally finished! shifts through gears like budda. so happy to be driving it again. it wasn't too hard after i figured out what i was doing. just takes a long time.

Back