• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

o2 sensor upper or lower?

i have a friend with a 97 contour GL zetec. her cel was on they said bank 1 o2 sensor #1 needs to be replaced. is this the upper one screwed to the exhaust manifold or the button one the exhaust pipe? let me know thanks :)

i have a friend with a 97 contour GL zetec. her cel was on they said bank 1 o2 sensor #1 needs to be replaced. is this the upper one screwed to the exhaust manifold or the button one the exhaust pipe? let me know thanks :)

Sensor 1 = Upper Sensor (exhaust manifold), Sensor 2 = Lower Sensor (exhaust pipe).

What was the exact code?

It's the upper, defiantely - picked up the O2 sensor today at Schucks when I got into it with the auto shop -

:blackeye:

Cheating lying scumbags - lured me in with a quote of 80$ to fix it, P&L, then when I called this AM, it went up to 90$, I was like "ok........."

Get down there and the price skyrockets to 170$ :eek:

I was like "WTF? the part isn't 115$! I saw it at Schucks yesterday for 69$ plus tax!"

"Oh that's a universal o2 sensor, just the unit yadda yadda yadda, you can go cheaper but I wouldn't reccomend it if you want your car to run..."

He gives me *THAT* look... you know, poor dumb girl doesn't know a thing about it - you'll be back...:nonono:

Went to Schucks, picked up my BOSCH O2 sensor (compleate) for 76$ (ahh love the sales tax) and because the thing is frozen onto the block (grrrr) it'll have to have a bit more muscle but I found my missing mechanic who hit it with some WD40 and will finish the job tommorrow for 30$...

.....Cheating lying scumbags - lured me in with a quote of 80$ to fix it, .....

Get down there and the price skyrockets to 170$ :eek:

I was like "WTF? .....​

LOL. Stop being so diplomatic and quit beating around the bush. Tell us how you really feel about this. :laugh:

LOL. Stop being so diplomatic and quit beating around the bush. Tell us how you really feel about this. :laugh:

Otay - Honestly? I mean REALLY honestly?

It took everything I had NOT to go back to the shop with the box and the reciept and say "Hmmm, maybe my Math is off and 20 years of doing shade tree repairs on earlier cars was all for ****? I mean, this sure Looks like a compleate unit - and 76$ and change is less than 112$ - and BOSCH must have really slipped in the past year to become a company I can't trust on my car....:drool: Must be the same thing that caused you to double the price over night - no, I should say within the half an hour between when I called you and when I got here!!"

Update!!!!

Update!!!!

I swear, Aube is the spiritual cousin of Alice (My 69.5 Maverick) - just as hot headed and 'do it my way'!

OK, so after dealing with the monkey repair shops and finding my old mechanic, Aube is REFUSING to let go of her O2 sensor. He's even whipped out the electric drill to try to wrench this
badwords.gif
cussing.gif
part away from the block! Nothing!! On top of it, SOMEHOW her dipstick is *missing*.

So with a makeshift plug, and the plan to get the sensor off on MONDAY after Erick orders a *special* wrench, I go off to check 3 wrecking yards, the auto parts store, and even the dealership -
rant2.gif

NOTHING - not a single place has a compatible oil dipstick.
banghead3.gif

As a last resort, I go to the oil change place to ask them if by any chance they had seen it - they swear up and down they didn't touch the thing. Bear in mind, these guys are the fith person to check under her hood since we discovered the dipstick was missing. All at once, one of them sees it tucked away along the SIDE of the engine compartment...

bowdown.gif

OK, so all this dashing aorund has made miss A a bit hungery, so I fill her up with some premium... cruising down the road, I suddenly realised that the bane of my last three days, the CEL is OFF.... I get off the free way, ideling at the light she's fine. A half hour of puttering about, with stoplights and what not. It stays off, and her idel is smoother.

I ended up taking the part back to the store (76$ back into the bank) and cancelling our appointment to go back on monday to get it installed - on the wau home I stopped at Wally word in the tiny hope that there might just be a fresh cherry....

$1.97 - little red Maverick! The only one they had.

It rest safely in my consol comaprtment - a mini Voodoo Alice to keep the mighty gods of Toreador red Kansas Fords happy...
clap.gif

Back