• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting it back on the road

Bronson

New CEG'er
Starting this monday I am getting the other Contour fixed, all it needs a PCM, my question is - do you think I should go to the junk yard to get one and match the serial numbers and put it in, or get a new one (priced at AutoZone for $145) and tow it to the Ford garage and have them program it? (I have no idea what that will cost). I put too much money into it to junk it, just before it puked I put new rotors, brakes and brake lines, 2 new struts for the back and almost $500 in new tires.

Back on the Road

Back on the Road

Can't really tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did. Your situation sounds alot like mine did. Replaced all 4 struts, brake job, ball joints, outer tie rods and a few other "maintenance" items. Even though I saved on all the labor doing it myself, I sure didn't want to get rid of the car after all the hard work and money I put in it. But, I felt the need to try the "cheap fixes first". So, I did the junk yard option, (matched unit of course) it cost me $35 and it was as simple as "plug and play". Been two years now and running strong.

Today I took the dead battery out of it so it can thaw out so it's ready to be charged when I get home from work. The junk yard I'm going to only has a couple Contours, hopefully I can find the right one they only want $50 for it, thanks for the reply.

Back