• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PCV hose

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
So I went to get my smog today with the state referee and they didn't passed me because of the PCV hose. They told me to changed so I went to the dealership and got it for $24.05. So my question is should i change it on my own or take it to a shop? How easy it is to change it?

Ok I'm a noob ... now I don't know what that is ... I thought you mean the valve cover ... Is the PCV hose pink/red?

The PCV hose is black and goes under the thermostat and spark plug coil housings. It's pretty easy to change,the hard part is taking out all the radiator hoses(yeah you have to drain the coolant.)
Good luck

oh. What's the red/pink hose for? I need to change that hose because they won't let me pass smog.
I think we need a picture to see what hose you are talking about as there is no red/pink hose in the stock zetec engine bay.

Photo-0667.jpg

See the red hose?

if you follow that hose under the coilpack and to the front of the car it will go behind the exhaust manifold. thats where the PCV valve is located at.

I'm thinking of going to the junk yard to get one soon. Should it be easy to take it out and put it in? I found it that it won't pass smog because that is just a regular hose, so when it goes 90 degree the hose bend and air won't go through

I found out what hose already. Base on the smog place ... they said is the hose that is from the manifold to the PCV. So I got that hose at the junkyard. Luckily there was a lot of space for me to remove the hose. So today I tried change it ... not luck because I was hard to remove the hose. So any suggestion?

You bought a used hose?

Now I'm cheap, but dude come on, a used hose?

Just get yourself a new piece of emissions hose in the proper diameter and route it so that there are no sharp bends. Give yourself a couple of extra inches and it won't kink.

What's wrong with a used hose? Still good condition. I got it for $1.80 and got my refund back from the dealership which cost me $34.99.

In conclusion I got everything solved and the state referee finally let me pass.

haha I know that for sure now :)
Before I was a noob for everything before I joined this forum. I'm planning to maybe get a clean valve from the junkyard or get a powder coated one off from ebay or something.

PCV - Easy to replace?

PCV - Easy to replace?

Hi;
I'm relatively new to the engine maintenance of the 2.0L Zetec.
I've got a 1995 Countour. I've been told that the PCV is hard to replace.
My engine doesn't look like the picture. Maybe I'm missing something here.
Where is the PCV anyway?
Someone told me that I had to remove the exhaust manifold.
Thanks in advance.........

Drain some of the coolant. remove the 3 8mm bolts from the thermostate housing and pull it out of the way. take a torx bit (im not positive but i believe its either a T30 or T35) and remove the bolt thats holding the metal PCV pipe to the block. pull the pipe from where it goes into the oil separator on the block behind the exhaust manifold. the PCV valve should be attached to it. replace the PCV valve and reinstall everything.

Drain some of the coolant. remove the 3 8mm bolts from the thermostate housing and pull it out of the way. take a torx bit (im not positive but i believe its either a T30 or T35) and remove the bolt thats holding the metal PCV pipe to the block. pull the pipe from where it goes into the oil separator on the block behind the exhaust manifold. the PCV valve should be attached to it. replace the PCV valve and reinstall everything.
thats more trouble then its worth... Jack the car up climb under it and reach up behind the exhaust manifold, the will be a hose back there, pull it off... theres the PCV valve, pull it out, replace... hook hose back up... 2 minute job, really.

Back