• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help CEL P0171

tmag

New CEG'er
:help: Ok so here's the story (maybe long please hang with me)
So first off my gf bought this car (99 2.0L feb. production) about 2 years ago with about 105K on it and didn't know much of the cars history, now it has around 120K, the car had been running well other than the timing belt (was understandable considering the milage). Then it happened it started early December, got a CEL code took it to a mechanic since I'm not that great with cars. I can handle the basic oil change, filter, plugs, etc. but not much more. Also past experience with CEL were mostly O2 sensors. Anyway took the car to mechanic recommended by a co-worker. He told me it was a lean code, he said the checked for vac. leaks (carb. cleaner method) and found none. He did find that someone (possibly past owner) had blocked/plugged the hose going to the PCV valve. He removed this and gave me back the car and told me the car was ok. But as we drove the car from his shop, it stalled and kept stalling when banking or going up hill (as some people have reported as problems in other treads). So I took it back to him... rechecked and he replaced the MAF. The car still stalled but no CEL anymore. About a week later CEL back on. Also tried the 1/4 tank trick that some ceg'rs has reported and now the car does not stall anymore but still has CEL. At this point my GF didn't want to spend anymore $ at the car also I didn't want to just start throwing parts, so did more research here and just parked the car. So I checked the spark plugs wires. Wires were good plus all had proper resistance. Checked the plugs 1 and 2 were good but 3 and 4 were drenched in oil :eek: . Back to the forum search - valve cover gasket replaced. The car now runs as good as it did but still getting CEL P0171 bank 1 code. Also now the car wont start in the morning, checked the battery and it checked out ok. Once hooked up to another car (jump) car just starts like a pro. (so it's not the starter right?). The car runs after it starts so it's not the alternator or can it be?:shrug: once you run it for a bit it will start ok. I've also noticed that it shrugs like it's not firing right if I hold at high rev in park. I don't know what rpm since it does not have a tach. :help: help please any ideas? fuel pump? but why would it start when jumped? thanks for reading my long post and any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
well if it stumbles below 1/4 tank of gas but at no other times I do believe its time for a fuel pump.

the P0171 is a lean code, if the O2 doesn't look like its been replaced I would do it with that milage also.

as for it not starting in the morning you need to complete a load check on the battery. It may hold a charge but it may not be strang enough to start the car since thats a high load situation. remember ~14.7 volts across the battery when running and 12.6 when sitting. Also turn the high beams on for one minute while the car isn't running, if the battery recovers to 12.6 volt quickly its still good, but if it take a long time, i'd say over 5 minutes or never reaches at least 12 volts its time for a new battery.

finally if its an atx it had a park/neutral rev limiter at 4k rpm to protect the atx

Thanks Br, I'll check do the high beam check as soon as I get a chance. Storming here right now so it's hard to work on the car right now. With regards to the 1/4 tank thing, it only happened once and since we filled her up and have not really been driving her, it has not reached below 1/4 tank yet to re-test. Sorry for my ignorance but what is the atx model.

atx = automatic transaxle, as opposed to mtx = manual transaxle

Back