• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission Fluid AT

harrup

CEG'er
I went into Autozone to buy a quart as I have a small leak under the engine. They no longer carry Mercron III.

Is it OK to use the new Mercron V in my 95 & 2000 Contours?

...Is it OK to use the new Mercron V in my 95 & 2000 Contours?
Yes, Mercon V is the replacement for Mercon/Dextron III. But I would change out the fluid (3X drain and refill) rather than add a quart of something slightly different.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all&vc=1

I'm surprised they stopped carrying it so fast. I know Advance Auto still carries them.

Edit.
Mercon V ATFluid superseded Mercon ATFluid (which was used for many years) and is the recommended fluid now. Dextron III is the generic equivalent of Mercon ATFluid

From TSB #06-14-4, dated June 29, 2006

"ISSUE:
MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid is being replaced by MERCON® V as a service fluid.

ACTION:
Beginning immediately all automatic transmission / transaxle applications requiring MERCON® can now be serviced using MERCON® V or MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON® / MERCON® V. After July 1, 2007, MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid will no longer be manufactured, therefore, availability of this fluid will only continue for however long it takes to deplete what remains in inventory."

Last edited:
I went into Autozone to buy a quart as I have a small leak under the engine. They no longer carry Mercron III.

Is it OK to use the new Mercron V in my 95 & 2000 Contours?

You can search all you want for Mercon III and you will never find it. It never existed.

As Tony said, Ford no longer licenses Mercon and Mercon V is the official replacement.

Also as Tony said, ATF that meets Mercon spec also meets General Motors Dexron III. The two specs were close enough that both could be met with one fluid.

General Motors has also quite licensing Dexron III and has replaced it with Dexron VI. As of yet, no supplier has tried to meet both Mercon V and Dexron VI with the same fluid.

With all that said, you can still find Dexron III/Mercon fluid. It will not actually say Dexron III/Mercon, as they can no longer obtain permission from Ford or General Motors. It will be worded something like "for car originally specked for DexronIII/Mercon". The oil companies that have supplied it in the past have not forgotten how to make it.

Mercon V is a superior fluid and is most certainly preferred. Unless price is a big issue, use Mercon V.

Back