• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How hot is normal?

jdfet

CEG'er
I have a 96 GL. w/85k on it. The temp guage needle sits on the "L".
How hot does yours run? Do these normally run hot?
Thanx

this topic has been covered numerous times, use the search feature in this site http://contour.org/ceg-vb/search.php

even if yours sits on L, the temperature might not be exactly right. Bust out the thermometer and get couple of readings. most of the time coolant temperature is fine.

I bet this only happens to you in city traffic, and slow highways; been there

this topic has been covered numerous times, use the search feature in this site http://contour.org/ceg-vb/search.php

even if yours sits on L, the temperature might not be exactly right. Bust out the thermometer and get couple of readings. most of the time coolant temperature is fine.

I bet this only happens to you in city traffic, and slow highways; been there

Thats what I would say.

Also I will say that when I replaced my water pump and flushed the cooling system really good, my temp gauge reads right at the middle most of the time. But it still jumps in the "L" range if I'm in traffic, but not for long.

Thats what I would say.

Also I will say that when I replaced my water pump and flushed the cooling system really good, my temp gauge reads right at the middle most of the time. But it still jumps in the "L" range if I'm in traffic, but not for long.
if its hanging in the "A"/"L" range then replace the sending unit. its on the under side of the thermostat housing. its very common for it to go bad.

lets all remember that the temp guage is calibrated per say. yes it is suppose to work over a specific range but since there are no number on it its just a guide line.

As stated its normal for zetec to read high. mine always sat in the middle, recently even after a flush it read about M. In traffic it will get upwards of L. However I did take a infer-red thermometer and check the hoses and the coolant temp was within reason, between 190 and 212 which is the operating range.

If you are that concerned then I suggest getting an aftermarket water temp guage.

Make it stop!!!

Or better yet, someone should sticky the last thread on this issue. I think it was all covered pretty well then.

I have a thermal temp guage. I will check it Wednesday.
Thanks for the info guys. You have been a great help.....atleast for piece of mind.

Something isnt right, I checked the temp but I must not be checking it at the right point. I used a Fluke thermal to check it with and the hottest I could find was about 112 degrees. Should I check somewhere else?

you want to check the hoses for the cooling system. like once the car is up to temp both sides of the thermostat should read the same ....

My Countour runs hot.

My Countour runs hot.

Hi;
I have a 1995 coutour GL and it has always run on the really warm side.
The temp gauge used to run somewhere between A and L.
Then I put in a 180 thermostat. That helped in cooler weather.
Now the needle sits about at the R.
But when it gets warm here in Atlanta the needle goes to A.
particularly sitting in traffic. But it nas never gone into the red.

Even when I have rented Countour cars the engine runs hot between A and L.
The stock radiator may be a little too small for the engine but
what I really think is that the grille opening is too small for good air flow.

Whenever my temp needle gets to the A, the fan turns on and within
less than a minute the needle visably goes down back to R.
So, if yours runs hot, make sure the fan is in proper working order.
I believe it is a 2-speed fan so make sure both speeds are working.
When I had trouble with the temp readings the trouble was traced
to a bad temp sending unit. Changing the sending unit may help.

Regards.
Gary - Atlanta

Back