• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Injector O rings, '96 2.5L. Arrrrgh.

gstein

New CEG'er
I have a 96 contour SE 2.5L that I am fixing up to drive for a few months. I was having a little fuel leakage from my injectors so I did the UIM/LIM cleaning + valve cover gaskets, etc. Ran into a bit of a problem when I went down to the dealership for a set of O rings + fuel rail seals. Aside from the $100 price for 6 seals and lower O rings :crazy:, Ford has apparently obsoleted the upper O rings. I haven't been able to find a set anywhere locally or online. Apparently Delco makes a TBI kit for $50 (PN 405090) which has the fuel rail seals, O rings and UIM gasket set but I can't find that anywhere either. Does anybody know where I might be able to get a set of injector O rings/seals or the Delco TBI kit for this thing? I checked the injector spray pattern by turning on the ignition with the LIM removed but the injectors installed and they seem to be otherwise OK, aside from the O ring leakage. Thanks.

I just ordered some motorcraft O rings from Rockauto.com. The top and bottom o rings are the same. So go there.

They come 10 to a pack, so you'll need to order 2 packs. 1 pack will only take care of 5 injectors.

Last edited:
And if you can't get them at Rockauto, try Advance Auto or Autozone for Fel Pro injector O rings.

Injector O rings

Injector O rings

The upper injector O ring on this engine is large, a little over an inch in diameter. The injector nose O ring is about 1/4" dia and the injector is completely enclosed inside the fuel rail. A dealer in Florida might have a set of O rings/seals, but they will set me back well over $100. Rockauto apparently can get the AC Delco kit for these injectors but it will take a couple of weeks to get it assuming it isn't backordered to the factory. They can't get the upper O rings. I might have to just replace all of the injectors. I think Ford definitely wants the new car I am going to buy in September to be a Toyota:rolleyes:

A dealer in Florida might have a set of O rings/seals, but they will set me back well over $100.

Call Bill Jenkins at Team Ford, Phone 1-800 791-6436

He ships DHL overnight cheap, if he has the parts you'll have it the next day

Call Bill Jenkins at Team Ford, Phone 1-800 791-6436

He ships DHL overnight cheap, if he has the parts you'll have it the next day

Definitely give Teamfordparts.com a try.
Fuel rail to LIM seal, F5RZ-9P867-A $5.47 each, Qty. 1, need 6
Upper fuel injector O-ring kit, F5RZ-9229-B $6.94, Qty. 1, 6 in kit
Lower fuel injector O-ring kit, F0PZ-9229-A $10.95, Qty 1, 10 in kit

All prices are from Feb. 2007

BTW if you need the lwr 0-rings I have 8 for sale, $7 even, but you pay for postage.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Yapper

Bill Jenkins came through.

Bill Jenkins came through.

It seems that all of the aftermarket injector (EFI) kits for the 96/97 2.5L are no longer available. Ford has discontinued the upper O rings for the fuel injectors and the fuel rail seals seem to be getting a bit scarce as well. I got a set of O rings and seals from Bill Jenkins for $90 including shipping, which is a deal compared to the $140 reaming I would receive at a dealership. If anyone is considering pulling their injectors, might want to consider making sure the O rings and seals are available before tearing things apart. If you want to find an aftermarket kit, the Delco part number for the UIM/Injector kit is 40-5090 and the KEM part number is 18113, just in case there are still some around. Thanks and later.

Felpro

Felpro

Felpro only supplies the nose (lower) O Rings, at least according to Advance Auto. The Felpro parts are a lot thinner than the originals and don't "pop" in like the OEM ones. I suspect they won't seal as well as the originals so I didn't use them.

Last edited:
Injector seal kit

Injector seal kit

I just got and installed an lower manifold injector seal kit on my 96 tour. It is a Bluestreak kit, part # 2023. This is in Canada. In the US I believe Bluestreak is owned by Standard Auto parts (says Standard on the box). It came with upper and lower o-rings, manifold seals, fuel press reg seals, upper intake, EGR, TB, and IAC gaskets. All I had to buy extra was the lower intake gaskets. Kit was $69 CDN.
HTH,
Neil

Last edited:
Back