• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E Rebuild

volcar

New CEG'er
My present transmission is leaking and all attempts to stop the leak has proven futile. Consequently, I have secured a used CD4E which I have striped down and am now in the process of rebuilding it, however, I have run into some difficulty the nature of which is as follows.
In dismantling the Forward/Coast/Direct Clutch a small ball bearing and spring was dislodged from the unit, however, I am unable to ascertain where in the unit they came from. As a consequence I am using this medium to ascertain whether of my fellow members who might have rebuilt the CD4E can inform me on the proper location in the Forward/Coast/Direct Clutch for the small ball bearing and spring. In addition, can Petroleum Jelly be used as assembly lube for the rebuilding process or should I acquire a assembly lube and if so kindly recommend an appropriate assembly lube.
The usual suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.

My present transmission is leaking and all attempts to stop the leak has proven futile. Consequently, I have secured a used CD4E which I have striped down and am now in the process of rebuilding it, however, I have run into some difficulty the nature of which is as follows.
In dismantling the Forward/Coast/Direct Clutch a small ball bearing and spring was dislodged from the unit, however, I am unable to ascertain where in the unit they came from. As a consequence I am using this medium to ascertain whether of my fellow members who might have rebuilt the CD4E can inform me on the proper location in the Forward/Coast/Direct Clutch for the small ball bearing and spring. In addition, can Petroleum Jelly be used as assembly lube for the rebuilding process or should I acquire a assembly lube and if so kindly recommend an appropriate assembly lube.
The usual suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Vaseline is very commonly used to keep the ball bearings in the valve body in place when reassembling a transmission, so you may be able to use it to good effect in your situation as well. In the valve body, the advantage of petroleum jelly is that it serves its purpose in the short term during assembly, but then works out without event once the transmission is filled with Mercon and run.

The guys on the TurboBuick forum, for example, seem to think that Vaseline can be used in a pinch no sweat. If you feel like you should pick up an assembly lube, though, Trans Jel is one option:

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=M465TJ

Last edited:
The factory service manual for the 98 Contour makes no mention or reference (anywhere) of such a spring and ball in that sub-assembly.

My guess is that either they came from somewhere else in the transmission or your donor transmission did not come from a Contour.

Steve

Back