• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pre98 dash in a post98

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
is this possible? I can find loads of pre98 contours with grey dashes in junkyards, but I dont know if they are a direct fit...

Yes, the dash itself is the same. The difference is all in the bezels. The pre-98s had a slightly greyish finish with a hint of metal flake in it, while the 98+ was straight black. Also, you might run into a problem with the colors. If your 98+ has the greystone interior, the grey of the pre-98 is going to be much darker, and the greystone will appear brownish if compared side by side. I ran into this issue when I started to swap the leather interior out of my 95 parts car into my 98. The colors were so completely incompatible that I put it back to stock until I can afford to re-cover all the seats in new leather.

Any year of dash even Mystiques will fit into any year of Tour. The big issue as was stated is color matching. All the trims can be worked out one way or another. Some of the pre 98 trims were black too.

AF

Yeah, but with the Cougar dash you'd have issues with the transition from the dash to the door panels. Might not fit at all, and even if the side-to-side clearances were acceptable the styling lines would not line up. It would take some crazy fabricating skills to cobble together something just out of the Cougar door panel or to graft together a Cougar and Contour panel successfully.

it was done WAY back in the days. search the old boards,or the archive's,you'll find it. it doesnt match w/the door panels.

yeah, I was looking at just getting a 98 dash in grey, but they are so hard to find, I couldn't tell if the grey for the pre98 was so much different. Guess that solves my question, going to have to keep my eye out for a junked 98 with a good dash that is grey.

So I want to be clear on this...

A Pre-98 Mystique will work in 2000 SVT?
I have found one in excellent shape.... and want to take the whole dash and center console.

All the connections behind the dash are the same?
I ask because I have found other connections that aren't (for example... the master window switch has a different connection)...

Yes it will work, BUT you will need to take your instrument panel and wiring harness to use in the new dash. The harness just runs the same way, but a retainer may be in a little different spot.

Check to see the dash supports are the same. You may need to use the mystique ones.

The clock connector will be an issue as will a spot for the pats light if you have it.

Use the mystique clock and splice it in matching the wires. (get as long a pigtail as possible)

Use the mystique headlight switch well actually only the lighted area, the switch itself removes and you should use yours.

Use the mystique HVAC controls, and all ducts

USE your dimmer switch.

Enjoy the drivers side glovebox.... may have to splice in a light for it.
Check to see the airbag is the same. Not the door, the bag, and in the same location I think it is, but...

Mounting the console may be different check to see if there is a bracket or ? that needs to be used.

The air bag monitor is in a different place, but yours should be OK.

All in all should be pretty straight forward. That's all I can think of for now.

Happy New Year,
AF

Yes.. a different look. But I would like the arm rest and the additional DIN space in the console.

EDIT: Oh yeah... and it won't WARP

just know that the center console squeaks a good bit. i took mine out of my 96se in favor of the newere console.:shrug:

Some people take old ones out and put in new ones, others take new ones out and put in old ones, to stique or not to stique that is the question ........ lol...... what other car can give you this much fun......

I'm gonna stique the 95 one of these days just for the driver side glove box.

Happy New Year folks,
AF

if you use a pre98 mystique dash you are going to need the center console also since that area of the dash is different ... and the blue isn't the same

DSC02790.JPG

DSC02789.JPG

Back