• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Catalyst inefficiency

Lt_hailBob

Veteran CEG'er
My Engine light came on in my 98 Countour SVT so I went down to my local autozone and used their code reader. It came back saying there was a catalyst inefficiency. Now, my big question is what do you think it is? I know the cats last for a long time, so I was thinking it might be the sensor. Let me know what you guys think.​

what was the actual code number that was thrown?

The Code reader that autozone uses displays the correct code, but usually what is in the code reader to interpret what the code means is completley wrong.

For example; I replaced my timing belt in my car, drove it for about a week and the CEL poped on, Autozone got the code reader and on the code reader it said "Ignition coil" so I purchased an ignition coil and went home and get on CEG, checked the CEL code number they gave me... The code ACTUALLY meant that my cam timing was off. HUGE difference, I had to re-install my timing belt all over again.

Post the code number.

Are you sure it's P0240?
P0420 is the bank one code, the cylinder bank closest to the firewall and P0430 the radiator side, or bank two. These are the two codes for cat ineffeciency.
These are a common CEL on these cars. Sometimes they come on and there really is no problem.
Read this thread there are many on here.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=14329&highlight=P0420

Last edited:
At 9 years old, and assuming over 100k miles, there is a very good chance that it is a "legitimate" P0420. I would suggest going to another Autozone or Advance and getting the code read again. This time making sure you write down the EXACT code and post here.

You may want to consider installing mileliminators.

From M&M how to.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=760

Last edited:
Back