• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GM style DRLs?

Big Daddy Kane

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, so there is a thread on the b15sentra forums talking about how some dude's front parking lights didn't match his yellow fog lamps, and wanted to either eliminate the front parking lamps or have them at full brightness when the headlights are on.

Someone went so far as to say "swap the leads at the socket," which would obviously work, but one BIG drawback... eliminates the turn signals! :blackeye:

So a ton of threads go by talking about nothingness, so I get on to mention about just cutting the parking light wire (so the parking lights don't come on anymore, just the turn signals).

Then I figured out a way in my head to use 2 relays and make the parking lamps use the turn signal filament when the headlights are on, but also still flash when the turn signal is activated.

I think someone wanted to do some GM style DRLs on the old boards, so if you take my diagram below and replace the parking light circuit with +12V switched power, you will have the GM style DRLs... if you want that sort of thing :shrug:

ME said:
PBGSER said:
come on no one out there knows how to turn off the always on turn signals??

Yeah, very easily, remove the parking light lead going into the bulb socket. No more front parking lights (only turn signals).

However, someone mentioned about wanting to have the lamp at full brightness when the headlights are on, but still allow it to flash (a'la newer GM DRL style)... they wanted to swap the wires on the socket, which will render the turn signals useless and is very dangerous!

Guess you could take some SPDT (single pole, double throw) relays like in this page, then wire it up.

This is what I am envisioning... the bright filament of the turn signal lamps will be illuminated whenever the headlights are on. However, when the turn signal is activated, you want the light to flash, then after the turn have it return to full brightness again. Then with the headlights off, you want the turn signals to act normally.

The contacts of the relay:
• 30 = Relay input contact
• 87 = Normally open (NO) output contact
• 87a = Normally closed (NC) output contact
• 85 = Coil
• 86 = Coil

What is being shown below will allow the turn signals to flash normally with the headlights off. When you turn on the headlights, the turn signal (or bright) filament turns on instantly. When you turn on your turn signal, when the lamp would normally be ON, it will be OFF. So pretty much your front and rear turn signals will alternate each other (front is off, rear is on; front is on, rear is off).

Essentially it acts like the newer GM style DRLs that use the turn signals for the DRL.

Sorry for the hugenormous picture...
DRL_style_turn_signals.gif

You will need to do this for EACH lamp. So you will need 4 of these relays.

Also, you will need to wire in some resistors before the relays on the turn signal circuit so the flasher will flash normally (since it gets isolated when the headlamps are on, which will make the flasher think the bulb is out).

What do you guys think? :shrug:

Since my Sentra has seperate rear turn signals, and the aftermarket taillights currently on the car have red turn signal lenses, I was thinking of adapting this to turn into some rear fog lamps.

When I have the rear fog lamp switch on, it will have both turn signals illuminated at full brightness, but the corresponding side will flash when I use the turn signals.

I know it's not an EU approved rear fog lamp, but I don't care since it's me trying to avoid getting rear ended in heavy fog!

BDK, this got me thinking and then I looked at your other how to in the Aesthetics Forum. How would I do this if I wanted to install on my stock fogs (or low beams)? If after installing and I turn on the main fog lights (or low beams), would it blow out the lights or are they wired in parallel?

Other link from Aesthetics Forum FAQ
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...6973&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

Last edited:
I think the fogs are on a single circuit.

Really if you wanted the fog lights on whenever the ignition switch is on, you just have to provide an ignition-switched power source for the fog light relay's coil.

Using a meter/test light, find the wire behind the headlight switch that has power on only when the fog light switch is on.

Now splice a wire that is connected to a switched power source (radio circuit, etc) to this wire. Good to go!

Shouldn't really matter where you get the switched power from, since this is just going to operate the low-current control circuit part of the fog lamp relay.

Won't matter at all if you turn on the fog lamp switch after doing this. Your fog lamps are going to be off if the ignition AND the fog lamp switch is off. They will be on if either the ignition OR the fog lamp switch is on.

So:

Ignition OFF / Fog Lamp Switch OFF = Fog Lamps OFF

Ignition OFF / Fog Lamp Switch ON = Fog Lamps ON

Ignition ON / Fog Lamp Switch OFF = Fog Lamps ON

Ignition ON / Fog Lamp Switch ON = Fog Lamps ON

Or a simple diagram is attached!

Attachments

• fog_drl.jpg
    fog_drl.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
Back