• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Part$

TourDeForce

Hard-core CEG'er
Just got off the phone with 2 different dealers about the rod cap bolts for the Zetec. They range in price from $16.75 to $22.33 EACH FREAKIN' BOLT !!! For that kind of money I'd expect them to last a lifetime and be transferrable to your next engine.

My question is: Where would I find out if the Zetec bolts are TTY ?

Situation: Replacing the engine in my Zetec Contour and bought some fresh rod bearings. If I can re-use the bolts I'll put new bearings in, but if I have to spend $200 on bolts, I'll just drop the boneyard Zetec right in & call it good.

ARP makes rod bolts for the Zetec and I believe they are not TTY.
http://www.focussport.com/fasteners.htm
ARP bolts are not TTY however they are only supposed to be used 3-4 times. Also if you get them take them to a wire wheel and remove the coating on the threads. I didnt do this to my head studs and the head gasket ended up leaking oil into the cylinders.

I also cant gaurantee the rod bolts for the focus will work on the rods from a contour. I see no reason why they shouldnt but just thought i put that out there.

Last edited:
Take a wire wheel to the ARP studs? I've never heard of that. That's something I definately didn't do.

I think ARP's instructions just say to use their moly-lube or oil on the threads, and then torque the bolt down to the spec they give.

How did you find out the gasket was leaking?

Take a wire wheel to the ARP studs? I've never heard of that. That's something I definately didn't do.

I think ARP's instructions just say to use their moly-lube or oil on the threads, and then torque the bolt down to the spec they give.

How did you find out the gasket was leaking?
i pulled the head off. before that it was burning lots of oil once it warmed up. yeah there instructions dont mention anything about removing the coating thats on the threads before you install them. I was told this by the guys at massive speed system. apparantly ARP told them to do this but neglected to put anything in their instructions.

i was told to take the studs to a wire wheel and remove the coating on the threaded portions only as well as to the underside of the nuts and the side of the washers thats going to contact the nuts.

normally i would take some pictures of the studs before and after but i forgot and the car is most of the way back together at this point.

Back