• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

contour has the shivers.

candyman

New CEG'er
so my 1995 contour lx with 68k miles auto has the shivers well rough idle is more the term i think. like when stopped in drive my rpms will jump from 100-750 to like 300 then back up when it drops the car shakes i read on here someone else had same problem and he used new plugs and wires to fix i ordered the 9mm ford racing from zxtuner and bought autolite double platinums at autozone i should get later this week i also bought a new tps(throttle position sensor) but the dealership cleaned the old one torqued the bolts back on and stripped the heads so next day i have off i have to pull em and buy new ones. anyone else have anymore ideas to fix problem?

Do you have a check engine light illuminated? If so, you might want to post a code. It could just be something as lame as the O2 sensor. That's what happened to me :shrug:

Do you have a check engine light illuminated? If so, you might want to post a code. It could just be something as lame as the O2 sensor. That's what happened to me :shrug:
nope no check engine light 02 sensors are 6 months old.

All right well my gf's car is going through something similar, but it only happens when the car is warmed up. Once we find a solution (not sure when that will be) I will make sure to update you on it. I do know that her car has a bad roll resistor, meaning that a low idle will make the whole car shudder. You probably have the same problem, but then again it still needs to be determined what is causing the rough idle. On my gf's car, I'm thinking that it *could* be a vacuum leak, but I need to run through some tests to determine if that's the case. If I were you, that is where I would start.

Here's the link for the roll resistor that I recently obtained from BrApple:
http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlo...5180&callout=8&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0
It is part 8 and is highlighted in red...
However, it might not be the roll resistor, it could be some other engine mount. The roll resistor is just the most likely to fail.

Last edited:
same problem, striker2 said new plugs and wires.

my differences are, i have a CEL for the cam shaft possition sensor and my car will stall when its cold.

Have had similar problem with several different cars. In one case it was a vacuum leak and in two others it was plugs and wires. The latter is more likely, since you have no CEL.

Two things:

First, I want to fix my first post and direct to the PROPER insert for the roll restrictor:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=ANH&MfrPartNumber=2888&PartType=38&PTSet=A
This will help with the shaking of the car. It's a little bit of work, will probably take a few hours to fix at most (so I've heard).

Second, just because your CEL isn't illuminated doesn't mean that it "points" to the plugs and wires being the culprit, although I do recommend changing them. We went with Motorcraft plus and Duralast (Autozone) wires, and all's well in that department, but there is still a rough idle and no CEL. I'm going to be searching for this in the near future, but I am suspecting a small vacuum leak. I'll post updates...

Back