• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strange clutch wear? (Pics)

jeromio

CEG'er
I have 80K miles on this clutch:

Note the dark wear spots on the pressure plate and flywheel. The clutch disc itself looks fine. The wear spots line up with the "gaps" betw. the plate and flywheel.

I've done clutches before, never seen this. Is this common on MTX-75? Planning on going back with a new SVT Ford clutch (not sure who their supplier is), rather than the 50% more expensive Sachs. But not if it's going to do this wierdness....

Some serious heat scoring. Never seen one do that much. Put in a new Ford clutch and learn how to drive. :D

I bought it with 25K on it. I put on the other 55K - never driven hard, no hard launches, no clutch popping, etc. I suppose the PO could've driven like a dick, But I would've thought that any heat scoring would wear off/wear down after all those miles.

Also, why just those three spots?

Last edited:
My guess is that the problem is with the clutch pressure plate cover. It's warped. I had that kind of wear on an old Chevy small block with a beefed up clutch (4200 lbs).

i just changed out my factory clutch a month or so ago and my flywheel looked the same, just not nearly as bad though, it had 70K miles on it and was working just fine when i took it out. i never raced it, did any burnouts, or hard launches with it. when i got the car it had 54K miles on it so i can't tell you how it was drove before i got it.

I got the car with around 25K on it - can't imagine they did a clutch R&R in that time. It did have some slop - sort of seemed like weak radial springs.

In the end I decided to just get the SVT OEM clutch from Bill Jenkins - hard to justify the extra $200 for Sachs.

Now I just have to find some place local to do the resurface of the flywheel.

Now I just have to find some place local to do the resurface of the flywheel.

since you ordered the clutch from bill if you had the extra money you could have went ahead and got another SVT flywheel, they are only around 115 dollars, that way no worries about being resurfaced correctly.:cool:

Back