• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Purchased wiring harnesses

Deweydw

CEG'er
I've gone and done it. Ordered the wiring harnesses today. I have vacation in November to get this done. So IRingTwyce and KerryKool, ya'll have some "how to" so I can do some studying for the next month? Anyone else have anything to add, please do so. Oh, IRingTwyce, how's the valve covers coming?

Good for you! If you don't have it already, the 99m03 recall sheet has all the instructions in it you need. It covers all cars, I4, V6, ATX, MTX, so you'll just need to look through it and print out the pages you need. Definitely print it out, so you're not running back and forth to the computer. I got lucky, in that the dealer out of curiosity hit "print" not knowing the recall was 54 pages long. He gave it to me when I picked up my harness, so I didn't have to print anything. :) Nice!

I have the cover painted a nice blue that matches the car pretty well. Baked it in the oven last night for three hours to help out the curing process. I'm getting ready to paint the yellow and white accents on it in about 15 minutes. I'll post up the pics when it's done. It is looking
uowboobscq4.gif
, if I do say so myself!

Yea, if you need any help (or pics) ask away. I ment to get a how-to up but I haven't got around to it yet.

Good for you! If you don't have it already, the 99m03 recall sheet has all the instructions in it you need. It covers all cars, I4, V6, ATX, MTX, so you'll just need to look through it and print out the pages you need. Definitely print it out, so you're not running back and forth to the computer. I got lucky, in that the dealer out of curiosity hit "print" not knowing the recall was 54 pages long. He gave it to me when I picked up my harness, so I didn't have to print anything. :) Nice!quote]

Printed it out here at work. In all 57 pages. Put it in the hole punch and and put in a binder. Got a little nervous when I read about the Cooling Module - Removal. (page 15) omg... I breathed a sigh of relief because mine is an overlay harness and this will not have to be done. I should get the harnesses in a couple of days. (can't wait to get it)

Mainly don't be daunted by the size and number of pages in that recall. It covers ALL models, V6, I4, ATX, MTX. You'll only need about 1/3 - 1/2 of the sheets. Take your time, don't rush, and don't force the connections. It's VERY easy to crack a connector, or the plug you're removing it from. Patience is the keyword here, and the recall sheet is your friend. I would also check some of the wiring you tracked down to see if there is damage beyond the scope of the recall. If so, you'll probably have to run new wiring yourself. Get the new harness installed, then troubleshoot some more. Once you've got it in it will be easier to pinpoint any other problems you may have.

I think I may have time this weekend to get a how-to up. I'll post all the pics I took. But basically the recall do-dad is VERY helpful and provides you most, if not all, the info. you need.

Wiring harness

Wiring harness

I think I may have time this weekend to get a how-to up. I'll post all the pics I took. But basically the recall do-dad is VERY helpful and provides you most, if not all, the info. you need.

Kerry,
That how to would be outstanding. I brought a 95SE with a bad wiring harness in it I would love to have the info I would install the harness and keep the car instead of doing what's plan for it right now stripping it and using the parts for my other Tour. Just think you could save the life of a Tour

The shipping status shows I should get the harness tomorrow. The way my car is acting, can't wait until November. Will have to do the work this weekend. I hope it goes somewhat smoothly. [-O<

WTH is that?

Good luck w/ the install! You'll have to rely on KerryKool for answering questions if you do it this weekend. I'll be out of town (plus, his car is actually running, mine still won't start). Just remember to take your time and if you start to get frustrated and pissed, stop and have a cold one.

Last edited:
WTH is that?

Good luck w/ the install! You'll have to rely on KerryKool for answering questions if you do it this weekend. I'll be out of town (plus, his car is actually running, mine still won't start). Just remember to take your time and if you start to get frustrated and pissed, stop and have a cold one.

It's supposed to be a praying smiley. Thanks for gl. I do have one question though. What did ya'll start out with first. Reading the 99MO3, I'll start with the fan control harness first, then the fuel charge, and the overlay last. I'll see if I can get my son to take pics. I was thinking about a video. But that may take too long.

The Fuel injection harness was by far the easiest one to replace. Then the Fan Control Harness, then the power harness, then the relay harness.

The relay harness was the most difficult to replace because you had to get inside your fuse box and remove certain wires. It took me about two hours for that harness alone w/ a few frustration breaks in between.

Good luck. Ask any questions if you need help.

Need a little help. Trying to disconnect a/c clutch connector. I can reach it but cannot get it loose. I'll keep tring and check back. Been working for apx. 2 hrs and just getting to the removal of the fan control harness. :crazy:

Nevermind I got it. Cut a piece of wire hanger and was able to get it.

Last edited:
I got the harnesses in. Well, all excepty one. Installed the fan control, fuel charge, and positive battery. Got everything back together, inserted key. Turned key and lights on dash and in the car came on. Heard the fuel pump. Turned key all the way..... Nothing. Absolutly nothing. Not click or anything. I'm wondering if maybe it may be a fuse. Since I had to take the fuse box apart. Any idea's? It took most of the day. Started around 8:00 a.m. and finished around 4:30 p.m. Whew!!!

Check the fuse for the starter, you'll have to look in the manual to locate it because I don't know where it is.

Does it crank at all? If it does, you mean it doesn't turn over. That would mean something w/ the Fuel harness or pump.

Any other symptoms?

Check the fuse for the starter, you'll have to look in the manual to locate it because I don't know where it is.

Does it crank at all? If it does, you mean it doesn't turn over. That would mean something w/ the Fuel harness or pump.

Any other symptoms?

It does not crank at all. Turn the key to start, zilch, zero, nada. So I will be checking the fuses first. Thanks, I'll give an update later.

Update... Found the problem to get the car started. A wire from the positive cable was not connected in the fuse box. Popped out when I installed it. New problem. The cooling fan does not work. It will not come on. Found this out when I went for the test drive. I was thinking maybe the relays. But I have my doubts. Any ideas?

I had a very similar problem, actually still kinda having it.:blackeye:

Check your fan connector to the fan motor. That connection needs to be very tight. Then check the relays. My fan kicks on right before the "L" in NORMAL. That is bad when your in traffic. I'm going to replace the thermostat w/ a 180 degree one and flush the coolant, hopefully it will solve my problems. Not to sure if it will solve yours.

Check those things out and do a few more test runs around the block and give any feedback when you get a chance.

I had a very similar problem, actually still kinda having it.:blackeye:

Check your fan connector to the fan motor. That connection needs to be very tight. Then check the relays. My fan kicks on right before the "L" in NORMAL. That is bad when your in traffic. I'm going to replace the thermostat w/ a 180 degree one and flush the coolant, hopefully it will solve my problems. Not to sure if it will solve yours.

Check those things out and do a few more test runs around the block and give any feedback when you get a chance.

I wouldn't recomend switching to a 180 degree thermostat. I did that before, didn't work out to well. Of course, that was before I learned about the wiring harness. The 180 will make it run cooler, much cooler than normal. Which could change the fuel mix to go more lean. At least that's what I was told. I'm thinking about just taking the car to the dealership and have them check on the fan and have them install the final harness, as well as check my CEL light. Which is still on. I'm just tired of fooling with it myself. :blackeye:

Back