• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Block Heater

mcgarvey

Veteran CEG'er
I'm interested in installing some kind of block heater on my 2000 zetec. I live in NJ, its not like I have sub-zero temperatures to deal with, but I just like the idea of having an instantly warm car and eliminating some of the cold-start wear.

I'm curious, does anyone else have one on their engine? What are my options for installing one? I'd rather not mess with removing freeze plugs, is there an alternative?

There are two types. One uses an engine oil dipstick to warm the engine oil. (about $15)

The other type is magnetic and sticks on the engine block and keeps the engine block warm. (about $40). I bought this more than a year ago but did not use it as last winter was quite mild (plus I was away for about a month during the coldest part of last winter). I may have to install it for this winter as the predictions are a cold winter for us this year.

Both can be purchased from Autozone or Advance.

Block Heater.

Block Heater.

Some Contours were sold with a factory block heater. The heater goes in on the front of the block, behind the exhaust manifold, at the drivers side lower corner. I just have a bolt there, but in colder climates (read Canada) there is a block heater installed there. See if someone with the CD can get you the part numbers. Also look for Mondeo or Mystique block heaters, or Zetec block heaters.

Back