• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

96 SE bleeding clutch master cylinder

unior

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Ok so my friend has a 96 se that stopp going into gear the other day. I quickly found that the slave is located INSIDE the tranny....thanks a lot ford thats real helpful. So I tried bleeding the system first... no luck.

Next step I picked up a master for 45 bucks, installed it, and attempted to bleed it many many ways. First I tried bleeding it th normal way pump it up, hold, crack bleeder, close bleeder, repeat. The clutch went from not moving at all to moving pretty good...but still it won't disengage. Next I tried pulling the bleeder screw the entire way out of the slave and gravity bleeding for awhile. Still no luck. Next I tried connecting a clear hose from the drivers front brake caliper to the slave bleeder, hose clamped the hose, then pumped the brakes for awhile to try and push all the air back into the resevoir. No luck. Lastly I tried drilling a hole in the resevoir cap, screwing in a brass air line fitting and pressurizing the entire hydraulic system, then cracking the bleeder. I got steady stream of nothing but fluid out of the slave yet still the clutch dosn't seem close to being disengaged.

Is there still air in this bastard? I can see the slave moving a good inch probably...how far should that thing move? It seems to be flattening out the clutch fingers decently....

The only thing I can figure is that the clutch disc may have actually seperated and a piece is jammed in between causing no disengagement.

Any ideas, experiences, opinions would be appreciated. I assume you would have to drop the engine and subframe together to get this trans out. If that is the case I am not doing it in my liftless garage.

I haven't bleed a contour, but on the Som-Bishy I recently did, you put the tube on the slave bleeder, into sacrificial brake fluid container. Open the valve and pump the clutch pedal. No need to pump it with the valve closed. When the bubbles stop, press the pedal to the floor and close the bleeder. Be sure to keep the fluid level up in the reservoir as it doesn't take much to empty it.

This should do the trick.

yeah i guess i will try your method, although has anyone ever heard specific instructions to bench bleed a contour master though?

Back