• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What if...?

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, in Chilton's manual it talks about the dangers of putting off a timing belt change in a Zetec... What is the "severe engine damage" that could possibly happen? What exactly is an interference motor? This is just my curiosity here, not a problem...

The 2.0L engine is an interference motor. Extending the replacement interval could lead to the belt breaking and severe and costly engine damage. Although Ford does not publish a replacement interval for the 2.0L engine, most belt manufacturers recommend intervals anywhere from 45,000 miles (72,500 km) to 90,000 miles (145,000 km). You will have to decide for yourself if the peace of mind offered by a new belt is worth the effort and expense on higher mileage engines.

there wrong, zetecs are non-interference. even if the belt breaks you won't have 'severe and costly engine damage'

interference means if the timing belt breaks the pistons will mash into the valves

Oh... That is stupid that they say that then :nonono:

Because if they say "nothing will happen if you don't change the belt", then no one will do it. My guess is they're trying to promote proper maintenance. I think the recommended change interval is 60,000 miles. I'd recommend 80,000. Mine failed at just under 70,000 (a pulley not the belt itself).

Back