• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior Electrical

goomer416

CEG'er
When I turn on the headlights the dash lights dont come on. I have checked all the fuses and conections, could it be the dimmer switch is broke?

could be. When you rotate the dial the lights should dim. If they don't head to the nearest pull it yourself type junkyard and swap in another. Or call Bill Jenkins for a new one.

yeah i think im gonna do that. ive checked everything else and everything else checks out, i just hoped i wouldn't have to pull apart the dash

Before you go buying parts, pull the rheostat connector and check for power there. If it's not present, you likely have a blown fuse or something along those lines. If there is power, then turn the rheostat to full bright and look for power on the other side of it by backprobing the connector. That way you can test it. It's also possible that you have a bulb problem in your instrument cluster. Throwing parts at it does nothing but waste time and money. Diagnose, then replace.

yeah I already checked the fuses, I always check the little things be4 doing anything major(like ripping apart the dash). And the lights weren't working on the cluster, shifter or the thermostat cluster. Turns out someone had the dash apart and just didn't connect the dial back in.

Back