• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Problems with Overheating

buzlink

New CEG'er
As I have been discussing in the newbie forum, my girlfriends Mercury Mystique is having an overheating/ running hot problem.

From what we have found out, that the car is leaking coolant on the side of the engine that is closest to the coolant reservoir. Is this the side the water-pump is on?

Also is the thermostat located just under the air intake?
At what time or temperature gauge location should the fans come on?

She has noticed that when her car does start to run hot that she usually has no heat when cranking up the heater, after topping of her coolant, when noticed that some hot air did return.

She also has the check engine light on, and an icon with a fan like icon is on her dash.

It is a 95 Mercury Mystique 4 cylinder
Thanks

If it's leaking on the right side of the engine, as I stated in your other post, then the water pump is MOST LIKELY the culprit. I would think that the gasket is leaking. While I don't think the water pump itself is bad, might as well change it for good measure, because you have to take it out to get to the gasket anyways...And it only costs $50 at Autozone WITH a gasket.

Thanks

Any info on the overall cooling system, and what is the fan icon on the dash?

Thanks for your help!

Any tutorials or write-ups on how to check and change the water pump, and or gaskets?
Does anyone have a pdf for the OEM manuel for these cars?

Thanks

Yes, it IS difficult. You're forced to work RIGHT up against the side of the engine bay, and you need to position the camshafts so your timing doesnt get thrown off. Don't bother with the whole "camshaft positioning tool" BS. Just find a few good pieces of metal that are large enough to fill in the slits on the end of the camshafts (this will seem like gibberish until you take off the valve cover and look at them), and to extend all the way across the top of the engine. As long as they stay snug you won't have a timing problem. Even though the water pump is internal to the engine, it has an external connection to a thick hose. In my personal experience, access to this hose was NOT possible without removing the PS pump assembly, which is not mentioned in the otherwise excellent Autozone write-up.

Back