• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine noise... take off the AC?

danimal

New CEG'er
I put my contour in a ditch a while back and beat it up pretty good. I replaced the radiator and put it back on the road, but it the motor makes an awful noise. I'm pretty sure its coming from the accessories, and I'm thinking its the ac compressor because there was a bunch of dirt and stuff packed into the pulley when I pulled it out of the ditch. The noise sounds like the low-pitched whine that a bad power steering pump makes, except its independent of any steering effort and a lot louder. I don't use the AC... I'm pretty sure the lines got broken at some point, and the condenser is beat up, so I pulled the fuse/breaker for it.

I'm having some trouble now since it has gotten cold. When I start the car, it doesn't make the noise, but then the belt starts squealing and then the noise starts. It seems like whatever pulley is making the noise is locking up temporarily. So, I need to get it figured out before I throw a belt.

I'm pretty sure it is the AC compressor/clutch. I can just throw a shorter, non-AC contour belt on it, right? Or is the power steering pump in a different location?

What if it isn't the ac? If it was the water pump, it would be spewing coolant everywhere, right? And the noise wouldn't be as awful if it was a idler pulley. I could see it being the alternator though.

first verify that it is an accesory by removing the belt and running the engine for just long enough to determine if the noise has gone away. if it has then you can move on.

since you said you think its the AC compressor and since it did have dirt in the clutch i would start by putting on a shorter non-AC belt. there is no difference in the position of anything so its very simple.

also it may not be an accesory, it could be the belt itself. check and make sure the crank pulley is not wobling when the engine is running. if it is then the belt will squeel on the waterpump pulley.

HTH

Just put a new alternator in and you should be good to go. The Zetec alternators are quite easy to put in. IIRC, some have done a R&R in 30 minutes.

i have done it in less than 30 minutes on my zetec. you need a 13 and 10mm wrench and socket. pull the wheel off followed by the splash shield. use the 13mm box end wrench to get the serpentine belt off. remove the 2 lower bolts and then go to the top. remove the 2 connectors from the back along with a 10mm nut holding the big cable on. finally remove the top 13mm bolt. then you can pull it out. you have to get the angle just right but it does come out without removing the motor mount. reverse to install.

oh dont forget to disconnect the battery first, also a 10mm.

Edit: i just saw that you have a 98+ so it may be a little different but should be basically the same.

I wasn't really worried about the work, but the cost of it. I tried selling the car a few months ago, but no one would give me $400. I don't really want to put much money into it. But, I called some junkyards... about $25 if I pulled it, or an alternator shop said they would do bearings and brushes on mine for $45. So thats cool. Thanks for the good write up... It seems like a simple job.

check and make sure the crank pulley is not wobling when the engine is running. if it is then the belt will squeel on the waterpump pulley.

HTH

If the crank pulley wobbles, time for replacment? Is this the same idea for the 2.5?

Back