• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Pump Replacement...

Robsdaace

CEG'er
My fuel pump needs to be replaced and i already have everything all i need to know, is hjow to change it... do i have to drop the tank or take off the back seat?? does anyone have a how-to on this??

Thanks,
RObs

you go through the back seat. its quite simple. havent personally done it but i have looked at the ford cd. dont have it right now or i would post it for you. you might looking at autozones website.

First you will need to get the gas out of the line....I started the car, pulled the fuse under the hood for the fuel pump, and let the car stall out. Also pulled the gas cap off.

Almost forgot to mention this will be easier when your gas is under a 1/4 of a tank.

1. Pull out the back seat (clips)
2. Pull off the rubber cover for the fuel pump (has wires going into it)

At this point you will need to cut some "slits" in the sheet metal surrounding the hole for the pump. Then bend the "tabs" you made up so the pump can slide through it

3. Buy a fuel line disconnect tool....plastic ones work great
4. Slide the line off
5. Rotate the clip holding the housing
6. Once the clip is out you can rotate the housing and slide the pump out

Just have to reverse the order to install it. You will have to bend the "tabs" back so the rubber cover will go back on.

we just changed the pump and no fuel is running through... we swapped out the relay and checked all the fuses and nothing..... what can be the cause of this?? the pump isnt delivering fuel we listen and we dont hear the pump working when we turn the ignition...

check for power and ground at the pump (the connector on top should be gould enough since you dont want to take the pump out unless you have to). that would be my first step.

You can use a battery from a 12v or 14.4v cordless drill to test the pump itself. A couple of alligator clips from the battery to the pump and you'll know right away if the pump is good or bad. A circuit tester will tell you if you're getting juice to the connector.

we also tried to shake the connection while turning the key and nothing.... we sprayed some starter fluid in the TB yesterday to see if that atleast lets it start and it started but stalled right after that. we have no idea what the hell it could be and im going crazy having to ask for rides to work and stuff.... any1 down here in miami that can help me out?

one thing that i should have mentioned that should be checked is the fuel pump inertia shut off switch. its located behind the drivers kick panel. theres a little access hole that you can use to make sure the little button on top is dushed down. check it and if it clicks try starting the car. if not then you need to go to fuel pump.

This is from the 97 Ford CD so the colors may or may not be exact. however the placement in the connector should be the same.
untitled.jpg

ok i took the old pump and tested it at my job 9advance auto parts) and i used the alligator clips and tested it straight to a 12 volt car battery and it worked perfectly.... the fuse is good and i changed the relay... what the hell caould it be... and also the fuel pump cut off switch was perfect...

Bridge fuel pump connector power pin to ground with a DVOM or testlight.
No power, power line issue or connector issue

Then bridge pump connector power pin to ground pin with DVOM or testlight.
No power, ground line issue or connector issue.

Then probe (with DVOM) power line and ground line near the pump connector.
If there is power, then it is a connector issue.

Ignition needs to be on (not running)..

Last edited:
Back