• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine mounts for 97 Contour

cbyrd

New CEG'er
Hi,

I tried searching and didn't find what I was looking for so...

I have a 97 Contour zetec and all of the lower mounts are shot. I went to get some today from Advance and they told me that it's a dealer part. Is this right?

I tried finding some online with very little success. I can't imagine that the only place to get them is Ford.

are you talking about the ones that are mounted to the transmission? if so PM Josh (pole120) about sending your mounts to him and having them filled with poly. however be warned that they do make the whole car vibrate as the engine doesn't move.

Well, I got the mounts replaced this weekend and in the process managed to kill the speedo and now the transmission won't shift. I'm guessing I frayed the VSS harness. That sound about right?

Well, I got the mounts replaced this weekend and in the process managed to kill the speedo and now the transmission won't shift. I'm guessing I frayed the VSS harness. That sound about right?
Does the VSS harness look frayed? Also check to make sure you did not mess up the MLPS (manual lever position sensor) harness too.

Does the VSS harness look frayed? Also check to make sure you did not mess up the MLPS (manual lever position sensor) harness too.
I haven't had a chance to check it yet. It looks like it'll be the weekend before I do.

I took the afternoon off crawled under the car. It's definately the VSS. The insulation is crumbling on the sensor leads and they were shorting out in at least 2 places. New sensor should be here tomorrow.

Do us a favor. Take a picture of the location from the top and bottom so that others can see exactly where and how the connector looks like. Thanks.

Do us a favor. Take a picture of the location from the top and bottom so that others can see exactly where and how the connector looks like. Thanks.
I''ll take several pics the weekend...if the part comes.

I couldn't see the thing from the top, from underneath it was easy...but you can't disconnect the harness from there.

Here's the sickening part...

I bought the car from my father-in-law about 4 months ago. He said he just had a tranny installed...I told him I would pay at least what the tranny cost but he refuesed and said 1000 period. So I bit....

The Vss to me has been shorting intermittently for some time. The wires have "gone green" where the insulation is missing and there are obvious "arc" marks on the insulation.

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking my father in law bought a transmission he didn't need. I asked him today why he had it replaced...guess why...wouldn't shift. I think the shop screwed him.

....I hate to say it, but I'm thinking my father in law bought a transmission he didn't need. I asked him today why he had it replaced...guess why...wouldn't shift. I think the shop screwed him.
Maybe yes, maybe not. Not sure how many miles your Contour has (or had) but some CD4E transaxles have been known to fail as early as 60K miles. Some do fail much later. 180K or so. As for the wiring harness, it can be good one week and then two weeks later, the insulation starts to flaked off. :blackeye:

And if the VSS failed and was not changed soon after that, it would soon turn into a failed transaxle.

Got her on the road yesterday! Here's a pic of the vss location.

This is looking toward the front of the vehicle from underneath.

Attachments

• vss.jpg
    vss.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for posting. It will help future searches and CEGers. I got done with my tranny to driver fender mount (V6 Duratec) yesterday and was also going to take a picture of the VSS but decided not to, as it was full of black grease and what nots :laugh: . Glad you did as yours looks brand new ;) . So, are you going to do a how to for the mounts that you did? I will update and clean up the one I posted later with pictures.

Thanks for posting. It will help future searches and CEGers. I got done with my tranny to driver fender mount (V6 Duratec) yesterday and was also going to take a picture of the VSS but decided not to, as it was full of black grease and what nots :laugh: . Glad you did as yours looks brand new ;) . So, are you going to do a how to for the mounts that you did? I will update and clean up the one I posted later with pictures.
I guess I could try. Here's the last step...before you lower the vehicle, inspect the VSS harness :)

Back